SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-08-06, 12:38 PM   #1
M65

Default Which Broadband?

Right, Im hopefully gonna be sorting my place out with a landline soon, which mean t'interweb access Ive got a fair idea of the ISP Im going to use, but was looking for any advicce or comments you guys out there might have on various ISPs you use or have used.

Who do you rate? Who DONT you rate? Who has good customer service? Who has nice cheap prices? etc. etc.

All comments greatfully appreciated. I love you all
Old 18-08-06, 12:43 PM   #2
jonboy

They're all rubbish, or will be at some point, best deal going right now is Talk Talk from Carphone Warehouse:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...gben-home-Home

Old 18-08-06, 12:47 PM   #3
Baph

Don'ts:
-Wannado
-Tesco
-OneTel
-PlusNet

All of the above mainly because I'm pretty ok with a computer, but on the times I've needed to call them, they have been less helpful than a soggy tissue. OneTel also tried billing me for two months broadband usage, after I'd cancelled the phone line as I was moving out. PlusNet, once have your custom, seem not to care about you, and make it difficult when you want to leave.

I'm currently with EFHBroadband, who have made their mistakes, but it's a relatively new comapny, so they can be forgiven for that (people on the phone that have inadequate training etc).

If you live in the right area, go with cable, get your TV & phone through them as well. Usually a good sized saving to be had, and I'm told all the cable companies have good customer service (to the extent of NTL paying for my mate to have a new front door when their engineer balls'd up the install, could of got away with the frame only, but NTL's response was pretty much "No, it's ok, it was our fault, we'll fix it properly).
Old 18-08-06, 12:50 PM   #4
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Don'ts:
-PlusNet
Hahahaha
Old 18-08-06, 12:50 PM   #5
Diego's dealer

I've been using Tiscali for a while now and I've never had any trouble with them. Their rates aren't bad and the connection is always good.

Used to be with AOL a long time ago and they were rubbish - i'd definitely steer clear personally.

I agree with your man at the top though, that talk talk package people are talking about is meant to be a doozy, most people seem to think that is the best package by far at the moment.

Hope any of this helped!
Old 18-08-06, 12:52 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

BT, but only because work pay for it so its free Actually I have to say they are pretty good. I had to phone them a couple of times and the techy was really helpful and actually knew that I knew what I was talking about.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 12:54 PM   #7
cuffy

DONTS_ TISCALI

Had nothing but trouble since i tried moving our broadband over after moving house...the up shot was that they were trying to reconnect to our old address.....muppets.

So after over 5 hours of phone calls speaking to Guptar Singh n friends my problems were still not resolved

I have now sent of a dossier to the CEO of Tiscali UK asking for answers.

Rant over...Carry on
Old 18-08-06, 12:55 PM   #8
mysteryjimbo

To add to my previous helpful comment, NTL is reliable and fast enough. Although the upload speed is awful in comparison. It still works well with VoIP, P2P and online games all running at the same time.

Previously i've used Tiscali and they were pretty reliable and at the time they supplied free setup.
Old 18-08-06, 12:56 PM   #9
M65

Im kinda leaning towards Tiscali as a few people I know have been with them for ages and have had next to no probs. Would love to get a TV/Phone/Internet package from my cable provider, but Im almost out in the sticks (well, backward hick town called Darwen anyway) and cable (NTL) hasnt stretched out to us yet

Would only go with one of the bigger companies anyway to be honest, like Tiscali, BT, Pipex etc. (but not with the Hoff adverts now - just wrong!) but Im always open to listen if anyone has good words to say about a smaller, lesser known company.
Old 18-08-06, 12:57 PM   #10
Ping

*coughs* New player on the market....

http://broadband.sky.com/flash.htm