SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-07, 11:00 AM   #1
riktherider

Default Clutch kits...whats the best one to get??

decidede to change my clutch after clunky gear box, and too many false neutrals. is it best to replace the plates and springs or just the plates? whats the best make to go for? ferrodo, EBC, Surflex?
Old 22-08-07, 11:13 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch kits...whats the best one to get??

It wont be the clutch. Its more likely to be the selector mechanism.

However if you must, then the suzuki kit is good. DONT USE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS. They are nto needed and all it does is kill ya hand.

Others, Barnet, and EBC. I have EBC plates in there, and afaik, they are fine. Its my steels that are warped!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 11:19 AM   #3
riktherider

i thought it could e the shift detent arm or the star, but its a bit more pricey than the clutch, plus the bike is 99 and done 45000 miles.
Old 22-08-07, 11:51 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Don't replace bits untill you know they're duff, if the clutch isn't slipping after being adjusted correctly then I wouldn't bother looking at the plates. If it doesn't solve the problem it's just money down the drain.
Old 22-08-07, 12:09 PM   #5
Captain Nemo

if its not slipping, then unlikely to be the plates, maybe the springs are a bit weak, if swapping them, then do the plates at the same time, but its prob the selector, like you say 45000 miles, dont throw money it at "just in case" just chucking it away.........
Old 22-08-07, 12:26 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
It wont be the clutch. Its more likely to be the selector mechanism.

However if you must, then the suzuki kit is good. DONT USE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS. They are nto needed and all it does is kill ya hand.

Others, Barnet, and EBC. I have EBC plates in there, and afaik, they are fine. Its my steels that are warped!!
Yep thoes Heavy duty springs have sometimes caused me to stop riding the bike on the weekends as its made it too painful to use the clutch, but on the upside i did not suffer so much clutch slip with my heavy handed changes. But as a general rule i would not get them again, i needed new ones at the time because my standard ones had gone way below tolerance.

I went barnet just on the hype, and if you were going OEM they are about the same price.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 01:58 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
i thought it could e the shift detent arm or the star, but its a bit more pricey than the clutch, plus the bike is 99 and done 45000 miles.
I've got at least one spare arm and star in the garage somewhere, in one of the boxes of bits... But I'd be surprised if this is your problem either. The ones out of the K5 onwards SV are better than the earlier ones, Suzuki rather cunningly ripped off the Factory Pro shift kit And I think they cost around £60 for the parts if memory serves- I've got the Factory Pro bits and they're a nice upgrade but, like I say, I don't think it'll fix your problem.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 02:08 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I've got at least one spare arm and star in the garage somewhere, in one of the boxes of bits... But I'd be surprised if this is your problem either. The ones out of the K5 onwards SV are better than the earlier ones, Suzuki rather cunningly ripped off the Factory Pro shift kit And I think they cost around £60 for the parts if memory serves- I've got the Factory Pro bits and they're a nice upgrade but, like I say, I don't think it'll fix your problem.
42.54 shipped from Robinsons Foundry

25381-19F10
PLATE, GEAR SHIFT CAM
25350-35F00
STOPPER, GEAR SHIFT CAM
25355-35F01
SPRING, STOPPER ARM
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 02:12 PM   #9
svrash

Alos try taking out the push rod and give it a good clean and grease, just take the worn drive off and pull the rod out. If it's caked then it'll stop the clutch pushing out properly
Old 22-08-07, 04:20 PM   #10
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
decidede to change my clutch after clunky gear box, and too many false neutrals. is it best to replace the plates and springs or just the plates? whats the best make to go for? ferrodo, EBC, Surflex?

I always found false neutrals to be caused by dirty shift linkage and sloppy shifting