SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-06, 10:11 PM   #1
rich dawson

Default cutting out problem.

Hi my names Rich and live in northants and brought my dream bike a sv650s back in June which has been great, but only last week i changed the oil in it as i thought i would treat it to a little TLC, but since then it occasionally cuts out whilst going along and with out any reason, so far only done it at slow speeds and starts straight away and runs no probs, admittedly i did put about half a litre to much oil in and run it like it for about 6 miles till i realised but drained it out and put the correct amount in. wondered if anyone could throw some light on this for me, cheers all.
Old 04-09-06, 09:16 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Try lifting the tank and taking out the air filter.Then look inside the airbox and see if it blew a load of oil up the breather pipe when it had too much in.There's normally a bit in there,but if great gobs of it came up it may have partially clogged your air filter.Are you sure your oil level is now correct?
Old 04-09-06, 09:27 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Is the idle speed high enough? should be between about 1300-1500rpm?
Old 04-09-06, 10:00 AM   #4
rich dawson

Cheers both or you for that, i will look at the airbox later and check that theres not too much oil in it and also check the idle speed, thanks will let you know the outcome for future reference, thanx.
Old 05-09-06, 09:48 PM   #5
rich dawson

Hi all, i took your advice on the bike and found about a t-spoon of oil in the airbox and the idle speed is ok, i have spoke to a suzuki dealer who think the breather pipes may have some oil in ad just run it till it clears. thanx again and will see what happens.
Old 19-09-06, 05:40 PM   #6
speedking

Did you by any chance ride the bike in rain immediately after the oil change?

--Speed
Old 28-09-06, 05:27 AM   #7
rich dawson

Hi speedking, soz bout havent replied before but been on holiday. No The night i changed the oil it was quite warm, why have you experienced a problem like this then?