SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 29-07-08, 09:21 AM   #1
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Default So I had a slight bump!

Coming home from work last night I was filtering past a load of stationary traffic when a woman in a Golf GTI came out of a side road on my left and deceided to turn in front of me.

Fortunately I wasnt going that fast and I also gave her a fist full of horn resulting in a minor collision between her and I . When I say minor I really do mean it. Effectively my left crash bung hit her front bumper, launching the back of my bike up into the air. Like a trooper I managed to control the bike and didnt drop it .

So what is the damage:

To me: nothing, I am fine but I am probably going to go even slower when passing traffic.
To the bike: as far as I can tell it is fine. The crash bung was the thing that made impact and I cant find a scratch on it or the bike. It isnt even bent.
To her car: Front bumper scratched and dented on the front left corner.

Definately going to be an insurance claim. I have several witnesses, one in my favour (who is a biker and claims I got 3 ft of air on the rear wheel) and one in her favour who was in one of the cars. I guess I will have to wait to find out who gets the blame.

Anyway, could have been a lot worse and I have at least learnt a valuable lesson.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-08, 09:51 AM   #2
Devil Biccy

Default Re: So I had a slight bump!

Glad your okay and there's no visible damage to the biike. good that you got a witness but I reckon it could turn out to be a Bikers vs car drivers battle over who is telling the truth.
Old 29-07-08, 10:39 AM   #3
DanAbnormal

Glad you're not injured. Will most likely end up 50/50. These things have a tendancy to against bikes even if we did nowt wrong. Grrr.
Old 29-07-08, 11:26 AM   #4
StreetHawk

I guess the worst thing is that you will have a claim against you, not the end of the world , just one of those things! At least you and the bike are unmarked..
Old 29-07-08, 11:30 AM   #5
flibble

Phew, glad you & bike have not faired badly.
Old 29-07-08, 11:48 AM   #6
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Biccy View Post
Glad your okay and there's no visible damage to the biike. good that you got a witness but I reckon it could turn out to be a Bikers vs car drivers battle over who is telling the truth.
On the up side - the biker was not on her bike at the time. They were just a passer by who happened to ride bikes, she also had the best view of the accident. The guy in the car could not have seen much as he had just let the woman out in front of me - but his instant response was that it was my fault.

Overall, I am sure that I will end up taking some of the blame, and to be fair whenever you filter you are taking a risk. I can see both sides of the coin. As the car driver you cant see the bike coming from the right, as the bike rider you cant always see the car pulling out in front of you.

I think the trick is to make sure that you are going slow enough to stop at a moments notice. That way you minamise the risk.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-08, 12:03 PM   #7
Dave The Rave

Sorry to hear that mate. It does indeed sounds like 50/50.
Old 29-07-08, 12:25 PM   #8
Woz

Sounds exactly like an incident that happened to me years ago. If so, the fault does indeed lie with the Golf driver but getting insurance companies to go for that will be difficult.

It is up to the driver entering the new road to ensure that it is safe regardless of whether or not they have been invited (ie flashed) out of the side road. You were doing nothing wrong though it could be argued that you should have seen it coming. With mine, it was a truck that flashed the car out so a: I COULDN'T see the car coming but b: I should have been even more wary. Hey ho.

Anyway, like you say, lesson learned. I certainly take more notice of the side road where mine happened.
Old 29-07-08, 12:28 PM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
On the up side - the biker was not on her bike at the time. They were just a passer by who happened to ride bikes, she also had the best view of the accident. The guy in the car could not have seen much as he had just let the woman out in front of me - but his instant response was that it was my fault.

Overall, I am sure that I will end up taking some of the blame, and to be fair whenever you filter you are taking a risk. I can see both sides of the coin. As the car driver you cant see the bike coming from the right, as the bike rider you cant always see the car pulling out in front of you.

I think the trick is to make sure that you are going slow enough to stop at a moments notice. That way you minamise the risk.
I have to agree with the guy in the car I am afraid - this is why you DO NOT filter past junctions except VERY carefully.

The driver you hit was behaving in a correct manner - some junctions even have "keep clear" on the road if its an area that often has traffic queuing on it so as not to impede the junction.

50/50 would be a good result IMHO

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-08, 12:30 PM   #10
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
The driver you hit was behaving in a correct manner - some junctions even have "keep clear" on the road if its an area that often has traffic queuing on it so as not to impede the junction.

50/50 would be a good result IMHO
Don't agree. The Golf driver had a responsibility to MAKE SURE it was safe to pull out.