SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-19, 02:38 AM   #1
sv650blue

Default Starter motor not working

Hi,

This morning my 2003 SV650 wouldn't start, no action at all from the starter motor.

I can push start it no problems, so here's what I know so far.

1. I think the battery is fine, I get full lights on the dash, I hear the fuel pump buzz momentarily when I turn on the ignition and I get no dimming of the dash or headlights when I try to turn it over. I also rode it for about an hour and tried again hoping that if the battery power is low it might charge the battery up at least a bit to get some action but it doesn't help.

2. Once running I can put it in neutral and put the stand down and it still runs. Not sure if that proves anything in terms of the stand switch.

3. I checked both fuses on each side of the relay and they are both fine.

4. When trying to start it by pressing the starter button I DEFINITELY don't hear any clicking from the starter relay.

From this, I assume that either the relay is faulty or some aspect of the wiring between the relay and starter button. I don't have a tester meter to check voltage or continuity at this stage.

Any comments much appreciated?
sv650blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 03:11 AM   #2
sv650blue

Default Re: Starter motor not working

UPDATE: I was able to jumper across the relay terminals and the bike turns over. So I guess that proves that it is either the relay or some aspect of the wiring that initiates it.
Old 21-02-19, 03:25 AM   #3
sv650blue

I understand there are 3 other components which can affect starting and that they work independently.

1. Clutch lever switch
2. Side stand switch
3. Gear position switch

It would seem that any of these can be taken out of the equation by trying each configuration like this:
1. Try to start the bike in neutral, therefore it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out.
2. Again, starting the bike in neutral is possible if the stand is down i.e. the circuit is open.
3. If the bike is in gear it requires the stand to be up and the clutch to be in, so once again we can take out the gear position switch by trying to start in neutral.

Either way, if the bike is attempted to be started in neutral, with or without the stand down, or stand up in gear with the clutch in, it should test all three switches.

Am I right?
Old 21-02-19, 06:46 AM   #4
Othen

Hi robkblue,

When you say the relay I'm guessing you mean the starter solenoid? If you can jump across the solenoid and the starter works then either the solenoid has failed or the switch leading to the starter button is faulty. You can test the switch easily bu grounding out that wire at the solenoid (that is what the switch does), if the starter doesn't turn the solenoid has failed. This is not a service item, so you need a new one, it should not be hard to fit though (something you can do yourself).

Good fortune,

Alan
Old 21-02-19, 07:50 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Would the clutch inhibitor switch cause this? Try bypassing it at the cluth lever.
Old 21-02-19, 07:54 AM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Would the clutch inhibitor switch cause this? Try bypassing it at the cluth lever.
Good point. Yes, that would be an easy thing to check as well.

I've shorted out the clutch switch permanently on my bike (soldered the two wires and sealed them up in heat shrink).
Old 22-02-19, 04:33 AM   #7
sv650blue

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread

Yes, it appears to be the clutch lever switch, I was getting to testing that yesterday afternoon but the rain set in here. I measured the resistance across the two connector points underneath the clutch lever mechanism on the handlebars where the little 2 wire connector plugs in and there is no continuity when I pull the lever in.

If I short out the connector it starts so I removed the switch (two small Phillips head screws) and measured the resistance across it in the closed position and it does actually have continuity, so the switch for some reason is not travelling far enough any more.

I took off the clutch lever and inspected the notch where the switch's slider fits, it has some wear but it doesn't appear to be significant, nor the wear on the switch's slider.

Either way that's where the issue is so I think I'll replace both just to be sure as they are relatively cheap components. I'll update this again later once I have completely fixed the issue.

By the way, for anyone reading this in future, you can pick up a very good little electronic meter for $10 at Jaycar (Australia).
Old 22-02-19, 06:32 AM   #8
Othen

Good fix.

Australia might be a bit of a trip to get a multi-meter for many readers!

Alan