SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-19, 05:26 PM   #1
Othen

Default SV650 Oil Lines

This is a note in response to something #shiftin_gear98 raised in a previous thread. My 2006 bike (that I've just recently acquired) doesn't seem to have any issues with oil leaks - but is this something they are prone to and should I be thinking of changing the two oil lines as a precaution?

My bike doen't seem to be using any oil (at all) but it is 13 years old and has covered 134,000 miles. It would seem from the (very comprehensive) history that the shorter hose was changed some years ago (I don't know why).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 16-02-19 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 17-02-19, 09:05 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 Oil Lines

If it aint broke dont fix it??????
Old 17-02-19, 10:00 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post

+10.

I use ACF50 on all parts like this and my Rad hoses.Keeps them from corroding and decaying.

Old 17-02-19, 10:02 AM   #4
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post

I suspect you are right there Biker Biggles!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-19, 10:16 AM   #5
Othen

I think what I will do this week is clean very carefully around all the oil lines, unions and cooler - probably with some spirit to make sure any trace of oil is gone, dust the area with some talc and run it up to make sure all is well.

Here is the photo from a previous post that sparked off the issue:

I'd just sprayed the engine and oil cooler with mountain bike cleaner before the photo was taken. It was covered in road grime and so difficult to tell what was going on.

Last edited by Othen; 17-02-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 17-02-19, 11:35 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm a believer in if it looks like its going to break then fix it. otherwise its usually a lot more costly. if an SV looses its oil then its toast and with your bike having upwards of 150k on the clock i would be taking no chances.

those hoses dont look clever.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 01:04 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'm a believer in if it looks like its going to break then fix it. otherwise its usually a lot more costly. if an SV looses its oil then its toast and with your bike having upwards of 150k on the clock i would be taking no chances.

those hoses dont look clever.
Yeh.I've changed my mind and you are right Bib.The lines can't be too costly and with the high mileage it would be better.
Old 17-02-19, 01:07 PM   #8
Othen

Default SV650 Oil Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yeh.I've changed my mind and you are right Bib.The lines can't be too costly and with the high mileage it would be better.

Thank you for that opinion chaps. I’ll give it a good clean and see what it looks like this week. If I’m in any doubt at all I’ll replace the two pipes.

The bike has done 134,000 miles, it all seems to work fine, but it would be a pity if it didn’t do another thousand because of some £60 pipes.

Last edited by Othen; 17-02-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 17-02-19, 01:48 PM   #9
Othen

Default SV650 Oil Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that opinion chaps. I’ll give it a good clean and see what it looks like this week. If I’m in any doubt at all I’ll replace the two pipes.

The bike has done 134,000 miles, it all seems to work fine, but it would be a pity if it didn’t do another thousand because of some £60 pipes.

Okay chaps, you have convinced me - I’ve just ordered the aftermarket kit that was recommended previously from JHS Racing. It cost about £66.
That pushes my project budget up to £300 (on top of the £600 purchase price), which is okay.
Many thanks,
Alan

Old 18-02-19, 07:08 AM   #10
Othen

Default SV650 Oil Lines

... I sound like a tight wad after that last comment (which is fair enough, I’m proud of being frugal). My point was I don’t want costs to get out of control with this project because the bike will never be worth any more. It was cheap for a K6 (which normally sell for £1,500 to £3,000) at £600, but that is because it has covered 134,000 miles.

I made a value decision that being used regularly had been good for it (probably better than a bike that had stood for most of the past 13 years) and it came with a huge history file that convinced me it was an okay buy. The bike needed new brakes and the radiator sorting, plus some TLC, so I’d set myself a budget of £250 - now revised to £300 with the oil lines (which I think are a sensible precaution after the advice above).

So, as long as I don’t discover anything else wrong I’ll have £900 invested in a pretty well sorted K6 with new brakes by the time I start taxing it in April. I think that is a good plan. I’ll maintain the bike in about that state for as long as I think it is economically viable to do so, then I suspect I’ll break it for spares (I should think at least a grand’s worth).

Many thanks for your comments on my several posts so far.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 19-02-19 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Grammar.