SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-05, 03:41 PM   #1
sam_from_bxl

Default technical question

hey guys, I've got a question about my SV from 2002. How many ampere does the ignition have? The lights have 15A. I've always had a 10A with my ignition, but a week ago my bike stopped all of a sudden. Now it has a 30A thingy (what's it called in english ) for my ignition. How come it just happened a week ago that my bike stopped and not earlier? I've been driving for about a half a year with my bike, so?
Old 25-01-05, 03:44 PM   #2
Carsick

I don't think I understand the question, but the thingy is called a fuse
Old 25-01-05, 03:47 PM   #3
Mariner

A fuse has a finite life, meaning that the more it is used the weaker it becomes. Therefore although the ignition fuse is designed to blow at 30Amp that includes a safety factor, theactual ignition current is probably very much less. Eventually the value at which the fuse blows will fall to that of the ignition current, at which point the fuse blows. Don't worry unless the ignition fuse keeps blowing, then you have a problem. This problem is usually water ingress, or damage to wiring insulation, recently I managed to get water into the fuse box, this caused the ignition fuse to blow when leant over on roundabouts. Not a particularly safe place for the bike to coast to a halt!
Old 25-01-05, 03:47 PM   #4
sam_from_bxl

oh thank you, a fuse! oke. My question is what fuse is there normaly is with the ignition, in the box on top of my battery. I hope I'm making myself more clear now
Old 25-01-05, 04:07 PM   #5
simon-temple

I'm fairly sure it should be a 30Amp fuse, but I think it also tells you, either on the fuse cover or in the fuse box itself.

simon
Old 25-01-05, 04:07 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Hi Sam
the thing to check with a bike of that age is where there are known problems with the wiring being damaged which can make the fuses fail.

The places to check are where the 2 bolts holding the rider's seat go through the frame brackets. The wiring is right behind the brackets and the bolts are a little too long, so can touch the wiring.

The other place is under the passenger seat, and look on the left side of the bike where the wiring runs round the edge of a bracket welded on the frame, towards the back.

If there is any damage to the wiring, you can usually repair it with some electrical pvc insulating tape.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-05, 10:35 PM   #7
sam_from_bxl

thx for the great advise guys, my bike has been fixed.
greatings
sam