SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-07, 02:58 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Pedestrian crossing lights rant

Ok, so as a pedestrian, you get pedestrian crossings … press the button wait for green man and red lights for the traffic and cross … annoying as a road user as I have to stop for a pedestrian, but fair enough that is what they the crossings are there for … but what I HATE is a red light at a pedestrian crossing where NOONE is crossing …

This can be for 2 reasons … some joker just pressing the button with no intention of crossing … ha ha, very funny punk!!

But even more irritating still is someone myopically pressing the button, then looking to see no traffic is actaully coming at that time and crossing straight away … by the time I get there and the lights ‘sequence’ is initiated, and I face a changing to red light ... yet they have crossed already and on the other side … I then have to stop and wait for NO reason … I just want to kill these people!!

Ahhhhh and breathe Blue_!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 03-08-07 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 03:02 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pedestrian crossing lights rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Ok, so as a pedestrian, you get pedestrian crossings … press the button wait for green man and red lights for the traffic and cross … annoying as a road user as I have to stop for a pedestrian, but fair enough that is what they the crossings are there for … but what I HATE is a red light at a pedestrian crossing where NOONE is crossing …

This can be for 2 reasons … some joker just pressing the button with no intention of crossing … ha ha, very funny punk!!

But even more irritating still is someone myopically pressing the button, then looking to see no traffic is actaully coming at that time and crossing straight away … by the time I get there and the lights ‘sequence’ is initiated, and I face a changing to red light ... yet they have crossed already and on the other side … I then have to stop and wait for NO reason … I just want to kill these people!!

Ahhhhh and breathe Blue_!!
Please use the search, already covered pedestrians today - http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ght=embankment

LOL :P

█╬╬╬╬(•)i―i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 03:07 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Please use the search, already covered pedestrians today - http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ght=embankment

LOL :P
Er that thread is about getting nicked ...
Old 03-08-07, 03:11 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I did hear that they were trying to bring in some kind of cancelation system if the person crossed already.
That is not a fault of the pedestrian but the lights. It should not take so long to change to green man if there are no cars coming (obvious as it was safe to cross)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 03:16 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I did hear that they were trying to bring in some kind of cancelation system if the person crossed already.
That is not a fault of the pedestrian but the lights. It should not take so long to change to green man if there are no cars coming (obvious as it was safe to cross)
Why not make the 'is it safe to cross without the help of the lights' assessment BEFORE pressing the button - either wait for them or don't press the ruddy button (if you are going to make your own choice anyway)!!!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 03-08-07 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 03:27 PM   #6
MiniMatt

My little brother, when we taught him to cross the road safely, we drummed into him that at a zebra crossing he had to wait for the cars to stop before he crossed. Fair enough, he'd had his training, now it was time for him to go out and try it out for himself. Only we watched from a safe distance just in case....

Up to the zebra crossing he goes. No cars to be seen for miles around. So he waits. And waits. And waits a bit longer. Eventually a car comes. And stops. So he crosses the road
Old 03-08-07, 03:33 PM   #7
MiniMatt

Oh, and my own similarly themed rant. Road down by me, pretty much the main one to and from north cheltenham, has always had a pedestrian crossing. No problem there, it's the only one on that road and helps folks get across to the chinese. Over the course of the last six months or so they've built a new Sainsburys right next to it, and due to the traffic, Sainsburys has it's own traffic light system, that includes a pedestrian cycle. This is about 50 yards from the original pedestrian crossing. Do they take down the original crossing? Nope, we now have a two mile stretch of road with two pedestrian crossings - both within 50 yards of eachother
Old 03-08-07, 03:42 PM   #8
Stingo

I've seen pedestrians operate the pelican crossing when there's only me coming down the road through the centre of Plymouth...at half five in the morning FFS . Have these people got no sense/ability to be able to do things for themselves? Madness I tell you. Bob Geldof was right you know...'You push in the button, the button throw's a light saying Walk, Don't walk....' etc..
Old 03-08-07, 06:16 PM   #9
RhythmJunkie

Quote:
pressing the button, then looking to see no traffic is actaully coming at that time
Aaaargh that does my freakin head in man!

If its some senile old codger wait for them to come back to the crossing and when there's a bus coming play a ringtone of the crossing beeps so they get run over by the bus....
....2 birds with one stone, the pensioner gets an early burial and the arrogant bus driver gets 4 years for dangerous driving, oh what poetic justice!

Whats just as bad is the old codger paying for their petrol when they can't see the coins in their hand they're so blind, no specs, dithering about like they left their brain in the car, takes 5 minutes to pay for fuel then hobbles to the car like an injured 3 legged camel ...and drives off....aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Old 03-08-07, 06:20 PM   #10
Kinvig

I've just written then deleted an entire rant here!!!!!

A year on & still it's with the insurance cos. I hate No-win, no fee as all the pikeys come out & want a piece.