SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-08, 05:47 PM   #1
BigFootIsBlurry

Default No test rides?

As I've mentioned in a couple of other places on this forum I'm currently looking for a first bike, ideally an SV. Today i went to a couple of local dealers who both had used bikes I would have been interested in and that fell into my budget. However, neither place would allow test rides on there used stock. Is this normal practice for a dealer? I expect private sellers to be reluctant to allow test rides but I fully expect to be able to ride before I buy at a dealer, not least because I'm still not 100% sold on what bike I'm going to get.

Are these dealers the exception or am I just going to have to buy without a test ride?

Last edited by BigFootIsBlurry; 29-12-08 at 06:07 PM.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-08, 05:53 PM   #2
Seggons

Default Re: No test rides?

You could try the Suzuki site to see if there is a dealer near you that has a demo bike.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/demo/
Old 29-12-08, 07:03 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFootIsBlurry View Post
Are these dealers the exception or am I just going to have to buy without a test ride?
Only normal if the used bike does not belong to the dealer, i.e. they are selling it on behalf of a customer or third party.

As for new bikes, that depends if the dealer has a demo bike or not.
Old 29-12-08, 07:06 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

How old are you? Or how old do you look?
A lot of places might tell you to get lost if they think you're too young.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-08, 07:17 PM   #5
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFootIsBlurry View Post
I expect private sellers to be reluctant to allow test rides
why? i certainly wouldnt buy a bike privately or otherwise without test riding it first.

ive only bought 3 bikes, and test rode all 3 first, from private sellers, one of them wanted money up front, so i gave it to him (which i think is fair enough, if you have got to the point of wanting to ride it your close to buying it anyway), the other wanted to follow me on one of his other bikes so no probs there, and the last one was happy enough that my car was on his drive.

ive sold 2 bikes, and let both of them go on test rides (got my brother in law to follow one of them, the other one left cash).

get private test rides if you see a bike you like and is in your budget bud.
Old 29-12-08, 08:09 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

The only way anyone would get a test ride on any of my bikes would be if they turned up with the full asking price in cash as a deposit and a fully comp insurance certificate.

Having their car on your drive means nothing, I know of two people who have had car stolen and a stolen car left on their drive.

Most of the time dealers insurance only covers over 25's which is a big problem when test riding.
Old 29-12-08, 08:47 PM   #7
arenalife

I'd agree with that G. Someone having fully comp insurance with no liabilty or risk to you is next to impossible so full asking price would be a must. As a buyer I'd always worry about that though in case I got back from the ride and they said "what money??" Weakens your bargaining position a little too unless you leave a few hundred quid short with them, after they see all the lolly they might not want you to walk!

Not sure why the original poster can't get a test ride, if you told the dealer it was your first bike that may have something to do with it. They may just not have wanted their showroom stock covered in salt and crap, though with the poor market they should suck it up and get the YTS boy to clean it.
Old 29-12-08, 09:48 PM   #8
shonadoll

How long have you passed your test for? Lots of dealers won't let new riders test ride, or if they have a restricted licence too.
Old 30-12-08, 12:58 AM   #9
BigFootIsBlurry

Thanks for the comments folks. I'm 22 but look quite a bit older (the beard helps ) and while I only passed this month neither place knew this. They both gave diffeent reasons for not letting me ride them though, the first place (independent dealer with about 40 used bikes) said that too many bikes were getting smashed so no more test rides for anyone, the second (main Honda dealer with around 50 new and used bikes) said all used bikes were SORN so no test rides. I can understand the first places point of view, even if I'd have thought it might cost them business, but the SORN arguement actually ****ed me off quite a bit.

Never mind, I'll just have to give someone else all of my money instead
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 10:52 AM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I am surprised by the SORN argument, because they have trade plates which allows untaxed vehicles to be on the road. I have certainly test ridden a bike on trade plates as it was not taxed.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote