SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-03-05, 06:23 PM   #1
Bud

Default Rev it! Riding style questions.

Assuming fair conditions..

1. What's the max revs your comfortable to cruise at before changing up a gear?

2. Does it vary, dependant on gear?

3. (If applicable) When "giving it some", how close/past the red rev lines do you go?

4. Based on a combination of riding ability and national speed limits; Do you drive well within your limits, push it sometimes or always on the edge?

5. Do you never, rarely, sometimes or often have a red mist experience due to other road users? If so, how does it affect your riding style?

6. Has there been a key lesson or experience that's improved your riding? If so, what?

This isn't for a study or survey. Just intrigued to know how other SVer's riding styles compare with mine.

Ta
Old 21-03-05, 06:58 PM   #2
Warren

Default Re: Rev it! Riding style questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Bud_One

5k, i shouldnt til 8 - but sounds like im revving the nuts off it. also my CCT is knackered, and it rattles about 6k and annoys the hell out of me

i try to get out of first asap - as it is very very responsive

3. (If applicable) When "giving it some", how close/past the red rev lines do you go?

about 4k before it hits. in 2nd and 3rd, thats when the front wheel comes up and id rather it down under heavy acceleration

4. Based on a combination of riding ability and national speed limits; Do you drive well within your limits, push it sometimes or always on the edge?

i usually drive well within, unless im giving it some- then i ride close to my limits (always saving some tho for unexpected hazards) but then again, my limits are exceeding legal limits

5. Do you never, rarely, sometimes or often have a red mist experience due to other road users? If so, how does it affect your riding style?

sometimes, makes me pretty aggresive, gives me the urge to chase them and kick the wing mirrors of the car

6. Has there been a key lesson or experience that's improved your riding? If so, what?

dont risk jumping the amber, almost went under a lorry this way.
always wait for your tyres to warm up before giving it some, almost got hit by a merc when having a moment on a cold round about last winter
take your time overtaking - if in doubt, dont. (the max, it will delay your journey time by about 2 mins.)

This isn't for a study or survey. Just intrigued to know how other SVer's riding styles compare with mine.

well i ride a CBR6, so there :P

Ta
job done.
Old 21-03-05, 07:15 PM   #3
madmartyn

Quote:

red line every gear
no
all the way
on the ragged edge
er pass
losing grip over drain covers now clench me butt even tighter if cant avoid them
all the above whilst on me ke125
Ta
Old 21-03-05, 07:19 PM   #4
rob13

I think it all depends on how you ride. Some days i take it up near the redline, others i just keep it lower down as it keeps the noise down too.
Old 22-03-05, 07:42 AM   #5
MavUK

Quote:

3 or 4 K normal riding, unless pulling onto motorway, then 8 or 9 to get up to speed

Lower gears lower revs simply because of lower speed

I try to change just before as I think that's where the max power is (correct?)

Always well within.

Depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I just think bad words at them, once I followed some car into a car park and let rip at him for nearly killing me.

My main key lesson is that I have a very over active imagination. Thinking what a mess I'd be if I got stuck between the central reservation keeps me sane most of the time.

Ta

No Probs
Old 22-03-05, 09:05 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:

5 - 6 thousand

Not really depends on my mood

I havent really noticed I am normally to busy trying to hang on, I've bounced it off the limiter a couple of times, I would say that I would think I dont go much past 9500rpm maybe 10000rpm max

Again depends on mood, road conditions, how well I know the road, I would say on a dry hot day and I know the road well, then yes I push and I push hard sometimes beyond my limit and the limit of the bike and I've had to back off

No not really, I just tend to shake my head mutter the word moron to myself and not rise to it

I think the main would to think about what you are doing before you do it, i.e talk yourself through a corner or a junction, be surprised how much difference it makes to your riding

I think the other one is confidence, if you think you are going to crash then you probably will, remembering not to **** your pants and think OK what do I need to do to get round this corner that I have gone a little bit to fast into rather than panicking has saved me lots of times

Ta

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-05, 09:31 AM   #7
Yams

Revs to 12k or whatever it is, for a reason

Nope

Never go past, but always up near...

In my limits completely almost all of the time, i'm not a fast road rider, I don't like overtaking, I'm rubbish at filtering and I'm not that keen on going silly fast either.. I just like trying to do wheelies and erm, well that's it really wheely wheely wheely.

Sometimes, rarely though and I don't do anything other than over-take them, at speed

I like to think I'm a smooth, controlled rider, I think I could happily pass my test again if required, I /can/ go fast if I want, but then I can also ride along at 2mph without putting my feet down, unlike some people.. however since buying a supermoto I'm just a loon... traffic lights approached on one wheel, and leave on the other The SV is the same only I can't wheely it to save my life and the tyres SUCK and lock up most of the time when stoppying.. must get new tyres! I haven't got my knee down since I lost the front end of my R6 on a roundabout so I guess that taught me not to try and get my elbow down any more

Just ride for yourself.. don't worry about others too much.. just because X person rides X way dosen't mean you have to question the way you ride.

Like I say, I am not a particularily fast road rider (or track ) I just ride for myself, do what I can do and gently push to get better. I know some people who ride stupidly fast and to be honest I'll just let them get on with and catch up later..... I'd rather not crash trying to keep up with someone more experienced, or just plain better than me...
Old 22-03-05, 01:04 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:

6-7 on country lanes I prefer to be in lower gear and rev higher- gives you the option of rolling off the throttle to brake.

Yes- on the motorway I regularly rev lower in a higher gear- better fuel consumption at the loss of some control.

On the odd hairy overtake/going round a corner fast in low gear, I've hit the red line a few times. I've only hit the limiter once- won't be doing that again...

When I first got the bike I was always on the edge (90mph overtakes on country lanes etc.). I've calmed down a lot now, but I still push myself a bit. I think you have to or else you'll take years to improve. I'm almost as fast as I was, but now I think I'm a lot safer. No one event really made me change- just got fed up of locking up the rear wheel, feeling exhausted after a 2 hour ride (from constant adrenaline), etc.

I very often get ****ed off with senseless idiots and often mutter under my breath. I have, so far, resisted the temptation to take retaliatory measures. Came close on a rideout a couple of weeks ago. If I'd not been with other people, the driver would now have a dented door panel.

Reading the IAM & Police Roadcraft handbooks and putting some of the stuff into practice.

Ta
Old 24-03-05, 05:27 PM   #9
sprocket

8-9K of recent, used to be about 6-7K but higher feels better

Not really

Only gone past the redline once and **** myself

If in a town I ride to limits, if on country lanes, depends how well I know the roads but straights I open her up. And on the DC and Motorways, normally keep between 80-90MPH but do like to open her up to 110 at times. Managed to hit 130MPH the other day which I was very happy about.

Occasioanlly, if a dumb ass car driver decides to indicate out without checking their mirrors while Im coming up hard in the outside lane. Will just get passed them, change into left hand lane, slow down and relax if it gets too heated.

Taking corners too fast ... a very valuable lesson to learn, take corners cautiously unless you know the corner ... had a couple times when I've hit a corner too hard and drifted out into the opposite side of the road and thanked **** no-one else was coming. Also had a very precarious overtake on a country road, missed having an accident by a few feet. Am extremely cautious now and think at least twice before overtaking on country roads.
Old 24-03-05, 06:48 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

1) Cruising? Probably about 8000.
2) Not really...
3) to the limiter sometimes, usually around the redline
4) Usually well within my limits- to be honest probably well within, I've been broken of the urge to push the bike
5) Never while riding... If I'm in a near miss and stopped I'll happily go off at people but I won't do it on the bike.
6) That first crash that was just 100% stupidity, and probably about 99% lucky that i didn't mess myself or the bike up.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote