SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-01-08, 02:37 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Presentations!!!

Next monday (21st) I am due to give a presentation on my chemistry project...just a ten minute talk on what its about, and whats been done so far.

I'm fine with the content, but what I want some advice on is how to make the powerpoint presenation look good - what colours should I avoid mixing? Should I use a dark background colour, or a bright one? What font size?

Any advice would be great

Matt
Old 14-01-08, 02:43 PM   #2
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Default Re: Presentations!!!

Use a lightish background with dark lettering. Whenever I've used anything darkish red or green as a background my students complain. Simple lines in a slide design usually work well rather that swirls or patterns.
Only put brief summary bullet points on each slide and DON'T read them out. They should summarise the point you are talking knowledgeable, intelligently and wittily about! Easy peasy

Good luck!
Old 14-01-08, 02:52 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

It should be an aid and no more, just bullet points and cues. Dont write too much, dont read it verbatum.
Tell them what you are going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you have told them. i.e. Intro, meat, summary.
Your presentation may require diagrams and such - try and avoid special effects and variations in wipes. Finally have a printout of your slides in case they ask for them.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 02:53 PM   #4
jimmy__riddle

I second not just reading out the slides, people will read that themselves.

10 minutes will fly by.

Just out of interest, whats it on?
Old 14-01-08, 03:01 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Water repellent polycarbonate coatings, intended for application as a special visor coating so we bikers that ride in all weathers can see where we are going

Thanks for the tips so far,

Matt
Old 14-01-08, 03:04 PM   #6
missyburd

I had some really good notes on this and typically I can't find them! I had to do one last year, I remember being told not to mix red and green, dark writing on a lighter background, sparing use of text - text should be used to highlight points only. Same background throughout is good, keeping with same font. Big bold headings, nice brief bullet points....
HTH
Old 14-01-08, 03:20 PM   #7
jimmy__riddle

Sounds good. combine it with electrochromic smart glass and youve got a cool but expensive visor!
Old 14-01-08, 03:28 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrichardson View Post
Sounds good. combine it with electrochromic smart glass and youve got a cool but expensive visor!
Hang on guv', I'm just getting the hang of how to make the surface water repellant

Keeping the words on the slides to a minimum, and trying to keep them a bit spaced out so its easier to read. Got one image of my wet arai so far, dont really want to go overboard though.

Matt
Old 14-01-08, 04:21 PM   #9
Speedy Claire

I do a quite of a lot of power point presentations and research has proven that the best colours to use are a pale yellow background with dark blue or black wording. Would echo all of the above points and would also add if you`re new to power point keep the effects simple ie. fading, zooming. I use verdana or tahoma, the size of the font depends on how much info is gonna be on your slide. Headings i always make a bit bigger and in bold. If you like pm me an i`ll email you one of my presentations to give you an idea
Old 14-01-08, 04:29 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Thanks claire, I was wondering what colour to use. I've gone for a pale yellow. We all know yellow is the fastest colour, and hopefully its unique properties will extend into me giving a good presentation

Matt