SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-19, 07:02 AM   #1
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

Regular readers will know that I’m really pleased with my K6 project. The bike is huge fun and rides really well, the one thing that concerns me is that the Fuel exhaust is a bit noisy. I’ve replaced the baffle, which has improved matters, but I don’t really want to fall out with my neighbours, so I’m thinking of reverting to the almost unused standard muffler that came with the bike.

I’m sure many contributors to this excellent forum will have had experience of both the standard and Fuel mufflers, maybe someone has gone back from the aftermarket to standard one as I’m considering? My question is: what do people think about the idea? Would I be daft to revert back to the Suzuki item in order to make my bike a bit quieter - and would it really make much difference to the performance (I accept it will also be a bit heavier)?

All opinions appreciated (I won’t be offended if people think this is a daft idea).

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-04-19, 07:22 AM   #2
glang

Default Re: Exhaust Muffler

Ive considered the same thing but although Id like a quieter bike I hate the look of the standard can although the curvy item is better. Also I think youll find either of these weighs a lot, lot more than an aftermarket.
The only possible solution I can think of is to open up the aftermarket to replace/increase the amount of packing but I dont know what difference this will make if any....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 07:46 AM   #3
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Ive considered the same thing but although Id like a quieter bike I hate the look of the standard can although the curvy item is better. Also I think youll find either of these weighs a lot, lot more than an aftermarket.
The only possible solution I can think of is to open up the aftermarket to replace/increase the amount of packing but I dont know what difference this will make if any....

Thank you for that. You are right about the weight, the Suzuki item is a bit of a lump. It is well made though and looks like it will last the life of the bike.

I have bought a clamp (from Fuel, cost about a tenner) that would allow me to re-connect the old muffler with just one bolt and two straps, so it looks like a 15 minute job to change. I’m tempted to swap the mufflers next week and try the original to see what difference (in noise, weight and performance) it makes.

I suppose whilst the Fuel muffler is off the bike I could remove the end can (it looks like it just uses pop rivets) and see if there is any margin for improving the sound absorption), I’m slightly dubious about messing round with the manufacturer’s design though.

I’m wondering - has anyone taken a Fuel muffler apart? It looks like the end can is just held on with half a dozen aluminium rivets, that I could drill out then replace. This photo doesn’t show it all that well (I’m not at home to take a close up at the mo), but it shows the general layout:

Is it as simple as that or it is in some other way welded or sealed?

Last edited by Othen; 19-04-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 19-04-19, 08:04 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I fitted a cheap Chinaprovich end can to my Curvy as for me the Stock can was too quiet.It did not affect the performance either way as far as I could tell.

It's not that loud but loud enough to give warnings to walkers and Horse riders on some of the small country roads I ride which the stock can doesn't.

This is inside my garage so a bit more amplified and the top end tinny frequencies are enhanced by the cheap camera mics than when outside.It's only really louder when revved and quite well behaved otherwise,

https://app.box.com/s/50v1t40uzq6mayvxq6edm7cavzd3nxk6

and here's the stock can,

https://app.box.com/s/tzkld9wa7inm7x6lemb8hwcko9jzbxwg

The stock cans are very very quiet.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 19-04-19 at 08:16 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 08:22 AM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

I've not done this myself but as far as I know, pretty much all aftermarket cans are simply an outer sleeve, inlet and outlet plates, and a 2-inch straight-through perforated tube that's wrapped with glass-fibre packing.

I think you can drill out the pop-rivets, re-pack the can and rivet it back up. There's not much science / design in aftermarket cans in themselves.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 08:35 AM   #6
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I’m wondering - has anyone taken a Fuel muffler apart? It looks like the end can is just held on with half a dozen aluminium rivets, that I could drill out then replace.
Is it as simple as that or it is in some other way welded or sealed?
Sure its not complicated, just rivets out and it comes apart with just a perforated tube through the middle and wadding round the outside. However how much packing is the right amount I dont know because I can imagine that for silencing too much might be as bad as too little....
When I removed the standard can my fuel consumption deteriorated. I think the reduced back pressure causes some fuel mixture to escape from the combustion chambers (it pops n bangs a bit) so probably would benefit from a rolling road set up....
Old 19-04-19, 09:09 AM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I just keep the revs low until I've left the neighbourhood.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 09:20 AM   #8
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

Many thanks for comments chaps. I don’t want this to become too much of a mission, you have to remember this is a £900 bike so I would not want to start buying new parts - I just want my bike a bit quieter so I don’t annoy my neighbours too much by using the ones I have.

I’m pleased that I have not been laughed out of court for suggesting I might re-fit the Suzuki muffler. What I think I might do is run the current tank of gas through so I get an idea of fuel consumption with the aftermarket muffler, then swap to the stock item and do a (sort of) scientific test to see if it is quieter and doesn’t affect the performance too adversely (it might even improve fuel consumption).

Whilst trying the Suzuki muffler for a week or so I’ll take the Fuel one apart on the bench and see if it looks like I might be able to improve it a bit. There is a little dent just above the maker’s nameplate that I could tap out at the same time - and give it a good clean up. It may be that there isn’t much sound absorbing material left in the Fuel muffler (the bike is 13 years old, I don’t know how long ago the Fuel muffler was fitted, but from the condition of the original (almost as new) I’d imagine it was early on in the K6’s life).

Depending on the results of the test with the stock muffler (which may be exactly what I’m after: quieter without loss in performance or fuel economy, although I accept it will be a bit heavier) and whether I think I have improved the Fuel item, I may swap back and run the trial again. I quite like the look of the Fuel muffler (and it would be even better if I dealt with the small dent and gave it a good clean and polish on the bench), the performance of the K6 seems to be very good indeed (remember this is a 134,000 mile bike, although it rides like a 40,000 miler) and it is a lot lighter than the original, so I’d sort of like to get back to it if I can make it acceptably quiet.

As always, many thanks for the comments and advice,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 19-04-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 19-04-19, 09:21 AM   #9
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I've not done this myself but as far as I know, pretty much all aftermarket cans are simply an outer sleeve, inlet and outlet plates, and a 2-inch straight-through perforated tube that's wrapped with glass-fibre packing.

I think you can drill out the pop-rivets, re-pack the can and rivet it back up. There's not much science / design in aftermarket cans in themselves.

Thank you for that.

Old 19-04-19, 09:30 AM   #10
glang

Thats a plan then. Please keep us informed on how the can rebuild goes including the packing used and some photos would be even better!