SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-13, 06:03 PM   #1
Nick_69

Default Which sat nav?

Im looking at getting a normal car sat nav for the bike, but i want to be able to upload my own routes on them from google maps, so what does every one think that the best one is or brand is

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 09:30 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which sat nav?

If you want to upload your own routes, you have 2 options to go for (which are compatible with the 'Tyre' app) TomTom & Garmin.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 07:05 AM   #3
Specialone

Save your money and buy a dedicated bike unit mate, I, along with others, made the mistake of using a car version then spent loads of dosh buying brackets, mounts and cases, when it would've been cheaper just to buy a bike version that comes with the mounts etc.

I personally prefer tomtom, I've got the rider v2 which can be picked up quite cheaply now.
Old 06-05-13, 08:16 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hmmmm have to dis agree there, satnav case cost £14 (came with bar mount), satnav £30, additional mount for other bike £3.45 (free P&p), worked (and still does) fine for the last couple of years or 50k miles, OK database is only 2010, but not bad, and the great thing is it's less than £50 should anything happen to it.

How cheap is the rider v2 ?

Cheers Mark.

Edit, whilst you can't upload routed directly, you can build a route with multiple waypoints very easily on the unit itself (well I can on the Navman S90i I use).
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 06-05-13 at 08:20 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 08:52 AM   #5
Specialone

Mark, I'm speaking from experience about mine, had a tomtom go710, really good unit, not a cheap one but the vibrations eventually stopped it charging.

I spent £70 plus on ram mounts alone, tomtom is waterproof whereas a car unit has to be in a case.

The cases reflect the sun, can be difficult to remove quickly and dont work very good with gloves on.

Quite a few people I know would agree with the above too.
Old 06-05-13, 09:38 AM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

I have a Zumo 550, a bit long in the tooth now but still works. I know a lot of folk use car satnavs in cases etc, and it can certainly work and be cheaper. Bike specific ones are made for the purpose and just make life a bit easier. Pay your money and take your choice.

A useful Zumo owners forum here

A couple of friends have Zumo 660 and are hapy with them. One has started using this route planner which is Google and you just download the route to your unit, whatever the make. He's very happy with it, seems very easy to use (compared to Mapsource anyway). I intend to give it a try but haven't yet.

There are free convereters around which can change POI databases from one format to another, I've done this with no issues at all.

Last edited by embee; 06-05-13 at 10:36 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 10:13 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Mark, I'm speaking from experience about mine, had a tomtom go710, really good unit, not a cheap one but the vibrations eventually stopped it charging.

I spent £70 plus on ram mounts alone, tomtom is waterproof whereas a car unit has to be in a case.

The cases reflect the sun, can be difficult to remove quickly and dont work very good with gloves on.

Quite a few people I know would agree with the above too.
one of the reasons I use the Navman is the bottom power socket, not had any problem with it in more miles than most will do, the touch screen is 4.3" and given the articulation gives a perfect view of the screen, if it was a problem (it's not) it's easy enough to make a peak for it ?

Waterproof, not had a single issue and it's been out in everything from thunderstorms to ice & snow, being electronic I guess I'd have noticed by now if it leaked

as to mounts, the cheap additional mount I got was from Hongkong, OK took about 3 weeks to arrive, but works fine, I agree you go with pucker RAM Mount stuff it can be expensive, but why bother when the cheaper one has held up so well ?

the mounts I use stay on the bike and the unit case clips onto them, allowing me to detach in seconds and reattach as quickly.

I've got no problem with spending money on the right thing, but once I find a function at a price I'm happy with; I just go and use it and turn what budget I have left into petrol money, satnav is useful for £50 to me, it's not for a couple of hundred.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 06-05-13, 10:28 AM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

What ever happened to using s map and a list of roads and towns .
Old 06-05-13, 10:57 AM   #9
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Nothing, but most of us move with the times
Old 06-05-13, 11:03 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
I don't know about others, but my Navman allows a "avoid motorways/trunk roads & A road" option, if like me you enjoy the small back roads then it'll throw up some interesting route, but generally it's used for the last mile or two of a journey, I get fairly close without maps anyway.

Cheers Mark.

Edit, but funnily enough I do keep an A5 map book in my panniers, old habits and all that.

Last edited by rictus01; 06-05-13 at 11:04 AM.