SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 24-06-08, 09:20 PM   #21
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Videos, photos and ramblings on my Trackday at Croft

Loads of pegs left, as soon as they start to skit I stop leaning the bike any further, hence why those pesky SRADs get away

I may have a wander over to TM, have fun next Thursday, make sure you leave the track nice and warm and dry, oil & gravel free for me on the Friday.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 24-06-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 24-06-08, 09:36 PM   #22
ThEGr33k

A few Q's.

1) How strict is noise? Think id be ok with the top baffles in?

2) What tyres you on? Reckon PR2's are upto it?

3) How fast was the bike getting down the straight?

4) How much was it?

5) Did your brakes fade?

6) Think id be ok in intermediates?

Hope you had fun!

Cheers,

Little man.

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 24-06-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 25-06-08, 07:20 AM   #23
Tim in Belgium

Answers below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
A few Q's.

1) How strict is noise? Think id be ok with the top baffles in?

They do a noise test at 4500 k rpm on V-twins, and are reasonably strict, although the noise level depends on if you book a quiet or noisey day. They were retesting the odd bike during the day too, so take it reasonably seriously, so you may need both baffles in, but I couldn't say for sure

2) What tyres you on? Reckon PR2's are upto it?

I'm on Metzeler Rennsport Roads, I reckon PR2s would be fine for a first track day.

3) How fast was the bike getting down the straight?

I'm not sure, too busy looking for braking points, other bikes etc, but I'd guess the SV was getting to 110 ish (+/- 5 mph? ), I reckon others were getting 140 ish down the pit straight

4) How much was it?

125 GBP IIRC.

5) Did your brakes fade?

No, I've EBC HH pads and braided hoses up front with new fluid, had no brake fade issues.

6) Think id be ok in intermediates?

For a first track day I'd go in novices, it is so different to riding on the road, and there will be track bikes on slicks in novices too!

Hope you had fun!

Cheers,

Little man.
Old 25-06-08, 08:11 AM   #24
rob13

I would echo going into the Novices, I actually thought they were quicker than the inters! I also couldnt believe the amount of folk in Novices using track bikes with slicks & tyre warmers.
Old 25-06-08, 11:57 AM   #25
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
I would echo going into the Novices, I actually thought they were quicker than the inters! I also couldnt believe the amount of folk in Novices using track bikes with slicks & tyre warmers.
Maybe they know something we dont?

Cheers for the info Tim. Let me know when you are next going (after the next one you are going on) if you like and I might come down with you.

I think I may have to invest in braded hoses, I have EBC discs and pads so I think my slight fade will be 5 year of lines.
Old 25-06-08, 12:19 PM   #26
rob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Maybe they know something we dont?

They probably only enter the Novices to boost their ego in that they can beat other things around the track..

Testament to Tim that he was being held back in the corners by faster bikes yet on the straights they had enough to pull away before the next corner
Old 25-06-08, 01:19 PM   #27
ThEGr33k

Quote:
They probably only enter the Novices to boost their ego in that they can beat other things around the track..

Testament to Tim that he was being held back in the corners by faster bikes yet on the straights they had enough to pull away before the next corner
I would say you are right about the ego. I must say some of those guys were soooo slow in the corners when Tim was following them... I cant believe it. Im shocked people go on tracks and are that slow in the corners.

Did any of them talk to you about showing them the way around Tim? Oh did you see any Falco's or RSV's there?

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 25-06-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 25-06-08, 01:21 PM   #28
simesb

Quote:
That's one reason - they also stick folk into either novice or advance if they overbook inters. I've heard, and witnessed, that inters can get red flagged more often as people are pushing their limits. At Oulton, it took the Inters 3 goes just to get round their first sighting lap!!!
Old 25-06-08, 01:59 PM   #29
Tim in Belgium

In inters there were a few very slow guys, mainly the ones in the Vid clips, a lot more were a similar speed to me, and I got overtaken by a few who were faster. I went out in Novices for the first session due to my bike not starting (and missing the inters first session) and there I overtook loads of bikes, so at the beginning of the day they were definitely slower than the inters group, which as stated can have a wide spread of abilities in it.

I'm looking forwrad to Spa as they put transponders on the bikes and move you about if you're way too fast/slow for your group.

Greek, off to Cadwell on the 21st July if you fancy it. Didn't see any Aprilia twins this time at Croft, but have seen a Mille there the prvious time.
Old 25-06-08, 02:29 PM   #30
ThEGr33k

I got work the next day but I guess that might be the same for you? Hmmm. Might well be up for that.

What are the details?

Oh and do you ride there and back or trailer etc?

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 25-06-08 at 02:33 PM.