SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-10, 02:55 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Squirming out of insurance

Anyone managed to get out of car insurance contracts early? I'm wanting to change my address on my car policy, and they want to charge me an additional £440 for the year! That's doubling my existing policy!

Whilst I understand the terms and conditions state I'm liable for the rest of the year, isn't the contract frustrated anyway? Thieving gits!

Let me know if you've managed it
Old 21-11-10, 02:59 PM   #2
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Squirming out of insurance

Can you not, just cancel the insurance. Sure you only get a nominal fee back and they may charge an administration fee, but that would be far less that £440, surely?

Maybe i've missed something, making this seem easier that it is.
Old 21-11-10, 04:28 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Is the extra premium because the address is in a higher risk area?

You could just write off the car...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 06:02 PM   #4
El Saxo

EDIT. Ignore me, mis-read the OP's username and thought you were someone else! FAIL.

Last edited by El Saxo; 21-11-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 21-11-10, 06:38 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Can you not, just cancel the insurance. Sure you only get a nominal fee back and they may charge an administration fee, but that would be far less that £440, surely?

Maybe i've missed something, making this seem easier that it is.
I'd have to pay £300 to cancel - the remaining balance on the insurance.

-It's a higher risk area yeah ... but it's third-party insurance only Justify that!
Old 21-11-10, 06:45 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I dont understand.Why do you have to pay them £300 to cancel?Just dont pay them and the policy cancels itself surely?
Old 21-11-10, 07:08 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

Because there's 10 months left on the policy, so they want the remaining 10 months premium to be paid.

I hadn't realised this- but if you pay the whole thing upfront they're duty bound to pay some of it back if you cancel. It's only when you pay monthly instalments you're contractually bound to pay for the whole year regardless of whether you sell the vehicle or not. I'll be doing that from now on!
Old 21-11-10, 07:17 PM   #8
arenalife

Is this a new thing or have you just got a terrible set of terms and conditions? I've often cancelled policies and have always got the remaining value back minus £50 - £100. I recently cancelled one I had on monthly and it just cancelled, no charge or further payments needed. Is this what they told you on the phone?
Old 21-11-10, 07:23 PM   #9
gettin2dizzy

Yep - and a quick google says this is getting more common as margins on car insurance are getting smaller. I think I'll just tell them to take me to court over it. I think they're trying their luck to be honest.
Old 21-11-10, 07:45 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you are moving address and your premium is going up and the insurance company are 'not competitive' i think you have a right to seek insurance elsewhere. you can also cancel a DD (in writing) threw your bank and if the bank pay any moneys after the cancellation date they they are responsible for paying you it back. dont be fooled by the 'you cant cancel a DD once you have signed' that is not true, your bank has to do as you ask or they are breaking the banking code.

if on the other hand your insurance company are using a loan company to pay your premium and you are paying the loan company by DD (intermediary (sp)) then you are responsible for paying the loan/DD if full at any time you cancel the policy.

this is all from past experiences and things may have changed.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote