SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-16, 05:50 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Pointy Scottoiler - Standard or "Sport"

Hi,

I'm going to swap to Scottoiler, fed up fighting with the Tutoro. At least with a Scottoiler you can see the operational flow rate in the workshop. What I was wondering was whether anyone has gone for the "Sport" kit which has a smaller reservoir, and whether they've found it easier to find a suitable location compared to the normal one.

Suggested mounting locations welcome as well, it doesn't have to bolt upright if I understand/remember correctly.

Cheers, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 06:11 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy Scottoiler - Standard or "Sport"

sport you will be topping it up more = fek that.

on the pointy you have an anti tamper bar under the pillion seat which has a nice convenient hole in it to mount the 'ring' type holder if you bend the holder bracket a little. if not just cable tie the cradle type holder to the subframe in the same location.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 06:25 PM   #3
aesmith

Cheers, was thinking I could live with topping up once a week if the reservoir was easily accessible and visible. But if the full size works OK as you've shown that's probably a better idea. Will need to check there's still room as I keep the tool kit and an emergency can of chain lube under the cowl already.

I think unless someone pops up with favourable feedback on the Sport I'll just get the normal one ordered and work out the best location when I have the parts to hand.
Old 16-09-16, 06:25 PM   #4
aesmith

By the way, what are the straps visible in your picture?
Old 16-09-16, 06:30 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

straps are for kriega luggage. i swapped them out recently for roll pack straps as i now have a top box for days out.

if your going to do the same then you need to make a hole for the bolts in the webbing with a soldering iron so it wont fray.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 10:22 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Cheers, was thinking I could live with topping up once a week if the reservoir was easily accessible and visible. But if the full size works OK as you've shown that's probably a better idea. Will need to check there's still room as I keep the tool kit and an emergency can of chain lube under the cowl already.

I think unless someone pops up with favourable feedback on the Sport I'll just get the normal one ordered and work out the best location when I have the parts to hand.

You won't need space for chain lube if you have a scotoiler!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-16, 07:35 AM   #7
aesmith

Thanks for the comments. I think it will fit in very nicely as Bibio shows, and because that's internal I can just velcro it in place without needing to rig up brackets etc. I think there's room for the tool alongside. Easier to work everything out once I have it in my hands.

I will still carry some emergency lube, the problem is that if the oiler stops working on a rainy day the oil gets stripped off the chain in no time. And they do stop now and again. I've had Scottoilers in the past and although I'm swapping back to one after giving up on the Tutoro I'm not yet betting my chain on 100% reliability. I used to carry a small aerosol of chain lube, maybe a little 100ml bottle of oil would suffice instead.
Old 17-09-16, 08:05 AM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

I've had Scotoilers on for the past 250,000 miles or so. The only times I've had them stop were when I forgot to refill them.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-16, 09:58 AM   #9
aesmith

Fingers crossed mine will do the same. Last ones I had were from 1993-2001 so earlier models.
Old 23-09-16, 01:35 PM   #10
harvy

Om my 2007 pointy fully faired, i put the scottoiler on a bracket just off the rad, gave me access to it through the sports fairing for eyeballing and topping up, but also kept the oil warm in the cold so had it on its lowest setting.

SV650sport k6
R & G's, scottoiler and heated grips... ie not a lot changed!
harvy is offline   Reply With Quote