SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-10-16, 05:28 PM   #1
Billyc33

Default plate cloned

I got 2 speeding tickets through the post one doing 77 in a 30 zone and running a red light and the other doing 73 in a 30 zone
The problem is it was at the other end of the country and i was at work.The bike is also sorned and no tax since i have stii to pass my test
I have reported it and its being investigated , what measures can I take I was thinking of a private plate but not sure what the police would think

Any advice would be great
Old 02-10-16, 06:00 PM   #2
Highlandsv650

Default Re: plate cloned

Are there photos of the bike involved? Same type as yours? I'd be really interested to see how this pans out for you since it's the simplest thing in the world to put a false plate on your vehicle and really do what you want on the road.
May be quite hard for someone to prove it wasn't them involved if they don't have a reasonable alibi.
Fingers crossed for you and let us know what happens.
Old 02-10-16, 06:04 PM   #3
Billyc33

I didnt get any photos just the paperwork asking who was driving etc. It was caught wit fixed cameras
I live near Aberdeen and was working that night until 9.45pm and the offences happened just about that time in Liverpool lol so i think my alibi is ok
Old 02-10-16, 06:57 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

My boss had his car plate cloned a couple of years back, he found out as he got two GATSO speeding tickets and a traffic camera violation in Surrey (we're based near Manchester).

Boss' car was a black Saab 900 but the car with the cloned plates was red (although also a Saab 900), so it was easy for boss to prove it wasn't him that did the offences. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 09:55 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I got something similar, but a parking ticket and when I rang them I explained it wasn't me for several reasons. Firstly the ticket was issued in Leicester, and I hadn't been there. Secondly the photo showed a car and this was the plate from my bike. Thirdly at the time it was issued I was in a plaster cast from big toe to knee so any driving, bike or car, would have been somewhat tricky. I said if they needed further proof I could show them the receipts from the coffee shop in London I was in the night the ticket was issued. The council didn't take it any further.
Old 03-10-16, 07:10 AM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

My sister had her car plate cloned a few years back. Even today she gets stopped in petrol stations and accused of doing a drive off. She has paperwork from the police which she has to send in every time she gets a speeding or parking fine and when she gets challenged at a petrol station.

Bit of a ball-ache but once you get the paperwork it is all fixable.

Also gives you the opportunity to go mad when you are away from home and just blame the other guy
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 09:33 AM   #7
Billyc33

I see its a common problem , what if I were to put a private plate on my bike would that solve the problem or make it look more suspicious Also would I need the police permission ?

Billy
Old 03-10-16, 11:43 AM   #8
Corny Gizmo

Private plate wont make a difference, can still be cloned. Wouldnt make you look suspicious no, and no you dont need to ask the police, you just need to inform DVLA as far as im aware
Old 03-10-16, 05:13 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Would make some sense to fit a vehicle tracker to your bike, rather than a private plate.

Our works vehicles have trackers, so we could look to where they'd been , in the event of unauthorised journey's or an accident.

Plus it reduces our insurance costs.

Don't know if you can get them for bikes, and as yours is SORN'd its a bit pointless, but it would give you the evidence to present every time your cloned plate got a ticket.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 05:46 PM   #10
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyc33 View Post
I got 2 speeding tickets through the post one doing 77 in a 30 zone and running a red light and the other doing 73 in a 30 zone
The problem is it was at the other end of the country and i was at work.The bike is also sorned and no tax since i have stii to pass my test
I have reported it and its being investigated , what measures can I take I was thinking of a private plate but not sure what the police would think

Any advice would be great
A private plate won't stop the plate being cloned as they can see a plate and copy it in public.

If you have a speeding ticket you can ask for copies of the photos, I did on mine.

If the bike differs they you can say that is your evidence. Also not having the kit in the photo helps.

You only have to give details of who was riding/driving if you know. If the vehicle was stolen/plates cloned, you'll still get the notice as you are the registered owner.

Just prove it wasn't you and jobs a good 'un.

You need any more advice drop me a PM