SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-21, 10:16 AM   #2051
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Just received my front full length braided brake lines today, looking forward to a dry day to fit 'n' blead the system. There was nothing wrong with the oem lines or stopping power tbh but an upgrade is a good idea I thought. Btw ... what's your thoughts on bleeding a full two line system... conventional or back bleeding?
Which has the best results and/less aggravation?
I syringe upwards through the caliper nipnips, I have a full two line setup (double banjo at mastercylinder and one line to each caliper)
Old 04-02-21, 10:51 AM   #2052
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I don't miss that awkwardness on DRZs! Awful design!

Bleeding I allus just conventional bled down from the reservoir, never had any problem as long as you keep in mind that air rises, so you sometimes need to release the master cyl and tip it downwards on some bikes.

Some Italian bikes rear calipers could be awkward, end up taking bits off and holding it at odd angles to let the air get out.

Today I am mostly tinkering with how to design some anchors which will be welded together from 10mm steel. Each complete anchor for the boat will weigh not far off the same as an SV.
Old 04-02-21, 06:09 PM   #2053
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Did I mention I'd got another stuck bolt on the DRZ? Another steel bolt fused into an aluminium sleeve inside the swingarm linkage. Very minimal room around it to try and get it out. No way to hammer it. Another couple of days heat and soaking and then a bit of brute force and swearing and it is now out.

Nice blow torch, I have the same one although a little worse for wear after being used nearly every day for about 15 years.
Needs a refurb kit putting on it at the moment
Old 04-02-21, 06:12 PM   #2054
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I don't miss that awkwardness on DRZs! Awful design!

Bleeding I allus just conventional bled down from the reservoir, never had any problem as long as you keep in mind that air rises, so you sometimes need to release the master cyl and tip it downwards on some bikes.

Some Italian bikes rear calipers could be awkward, end up taking bits off and holding it at odd angles to let the air get out.

Today I am mostly tinkering with how to design some anchors which will be welded together from 10mm steel. Each complete anchor for the boat will weigh not far off the same as an SV.
I changed the front hoses on my sv a few weeks ago, just bled them down from the reservoir, no problems with it all.

Italian rear brakes, the 2 that spring to mind are the Raptor and the Mille. Raptor was the worst rear brake I have ever come across
Old 05-02-21, 10:18 AM   #2055
gt alex

Hi I am running dual lines from a radial master cyl. It all bled normally but got to a point I couldn't get it any better but I was sure it still had some air in it.
After researching the net I found several articles on getting that last reluctant air out.
I don't understand how it works but it did.
Just pull the brake on and lash around it holding the brake hard on over night and the next day mine was 100%
Hope this helps I was amazed.
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 06:17 PM   #2056
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
Hi I am running dual lines from a radial master cyl. It all bled normally but got to a point I couldn't get it any better but I was sure it still had some air in it.
After researching the net I found several articles on getting that last reluctant air out.
I don't understand how it works but it did.
Just pull the brake on and lash around it holding the brake hard on over night and the next day mine was 100%
Hope this helps I was amazed.
Not heard of doing that but f i get any problems with it I'll give it a bash, can't do any harm I guess.
I'll probably go with the 'back fill' method as I can see the relevance in chasing the air upwards rather than downward. As long as I can fill each line in one go I think it should be a doddle, may even do the 'brake on ' trick for good measure.
Cheers.I'll
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 10:48 PM   #2057
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Brake on trick always used to do me right. I could never work out how it worked. I've since decided it lets tiny bits of air out around the seals.
I used to have to do it on my curvy until I did a rebuild of cyl and calipers.
Haven't had to do it on the pointy and I strip and fluid change those fairly often.

I also bleed at the mastercylinder (banjo) on some bikes when needed, not often with the back fill method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Nice blow torch, I have the same one although a little worse for wear after being used nearly every day for about 15 years.
Needs a refurb kit putting on it at the moment
I thought the same! I really should invest in one, I use one that was my dads that he hadn't used it for about 20 years before I got it - I'm fairly convinced it's just a narrow, semi accurate camping stove
Old 07-02-21, 11:09 PM   #2058
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Finally getting round to actually putting bearings in the linkage and swingarm on the DRZ. Propane torch helped a lot, partly to ease the fitting of the bearings and also to warm the parts to hold in a freezing garage.

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 10:56 PM   #2059
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post

I thought the same! I really should invest in one, I use one that was my dads that he hadn't used it for about 20 years before I got it - I'm fairly convinced it's just a narrow, semi accurate camping stove
I bought a £40 torch from toolstation to get me through while I was waiting for the refurb kit and it's night and day difference between them
Old 10-02-21, 12:50 PM   #2060
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I bought a £40 torch from toolstation to get me through while I was waiting for the refurb kit and it's night and day difference between them
Maybe I'm not a bad workman afterall - in my head I have been blaming the tools but nor dared say it outloud. Had some difficulty on 22mm Tee's

That said my major plumbing is done now so it looks like I'll be giving this torch to my kids so they can struggle like I had to.