SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-10-04, 05:41 PM   #1
Potts

Default Oil leak - bugger.

I have an intermitant oil leak on the left hand side of my bike. It doesn't always happen but recently I've returned to my bike to see a fair bit of oil (think it's oil) on the ground.

I also notice it runs down the side of the frame (where the tank ends) and there has been a stronger smell of petrol I think. The oil level seems to be OK still when I look in the wee window.

My usual commute to work is through London traffic for about 8 miles so no massive journey and it doesn't happen all the time...

Swiss had mentioned it could be something to do with breather pipes under the tank but when I checked them before it was OK....

Anyone else had this or have any suggestions of what to look at?
Potts
Old 15-10-04, 07:33 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I would have said breather pipes, there's not really many other places up there that there's any real potential for an oil leak without disasterous engine failure, as far as I can see...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-04, 08:06 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

that would definitely be my guess according to your description.

Are we talking carb bike? If so there are 2 pipes about the size of a finger (technical stuff this) which attach to the bottom of the airbox on the left side. There should be a small wire spring clip on them for good measure.

Check it out again before anything else.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-04, 08:12 PM   #4
Potts

Thanks guys, will check out over the weekend. Not entirely sure what I'm looking for but sounds like good advice it's a 99 SV650 S so assume suggestions are probably spot on.
Old 15-10-04, 08:16 PM   #5
Potts

Also, hope it's not major engine failure....! Tend to use the engine a lot in town for power AND braking but should be OK.
Old 17-10-04, 04:01 PM   #6
Potts

Default Not Oil leak - petrol leak...! Double "Bugger"..!

It wasn't simply oil that was leaking I have a hole in my tank, and it's not the hole you put petrol in.

Recovery truck coming to collect the bike, just in case a stray fag end ignites my baby

What do you normally do for a hole in the tank, can it be repaired or do I need a new tank..? The hole appears to be underneath at the back on the left. Looks like it's corroded a bit and fuel is leaking thru.

Wondered why my mileage was pants...!
Old 17-10-04, 05:45 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd want a new tank, personally... Doubt I'd ever trust a patch to not explode me.
Old 17-10-04, 07:59 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Not Oil leak - petrol leak...! Double "Bugger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potts
It wasn't simply oil that was leaking I have a hole in my tank, and it's not the hole you put petrol in.

Recovery truck coming to collect the bike, just in case a stray fag end ignites my baby

What do you normally do for a hole in the tank, can it be repaired or do I need a new tank..? The hole appears to be underneath at the back on the left. Looks like it's corroded a bit and fuel is leaking thru.

Wondered why my mileage was pants...!
If you're stuck, I've a spare tank in the shed you could borrow for the time being, I'm only just down the road in South Norwood.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-04, 08:34 PM   #9
snoopy

I don't get it. I've a 2000 on 10,000 driven through last years crap winter weather and I've no tank rust problems at all. Is it earlier problems with crap paint jobs? Rusting so badly to cause a hole seems extreme!
Old 17-10-04, 08:43 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

IIRC it's down to water in the tank... Which is a result of a problem with the drainer pipe for the filler cap. Alternatively, it could be the tank's been damaged enough to lose its corrosion protection at some point.

Then again, Andrew, I always wonder how you've managed to get your subframes to rust, mine are still pristine and the bike's the exact same age as yours, has done 50% more miles, and has sat outside for half it's life... Plus being crashed lightly twice by me, and once pretty badly by the previous owner, which would give it a decent chance of having picked up damage.