SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-20, 07:32 PM   #1
gadget

Default Water in the tank... again!

Hey all, just thought I'd share a potential problem I have come across today , I had my carbs drained and cleaned of the water recently due to erratic idle and when I collected my bike it was running perfectly (aside a bit of imbalance) the mechanic said the carbs were pretty much near perfect condition and all that had to be done was drain the water out of the bowls and tank and then clean the idle jets. Since then I have refilled the tank with fresh fuel and enjoyed the ride. Parked the bike up over the last three days due to crap weather and managed to go for a blast today in the sunshine when ... it starts missing a little on idle! I decided to check if the tank drain tube was clear due to possible repeat of water ingress again and when opening the filler cap I saw a load of water flood into the tank as it hadn't drained through the drain hole!! Arrrgh. I wasn't expecting it really and so couldn't catch it before it went in. I Lifted the tank and took the drain pipes off for a check over, all clear there. Then by chance just happened to notice the tube from the tank was kinked 45 degrees so couldn't drain from the filler surround. So ... going to get a longer piece of tube and re-route the tube so to avoid kinking and once again drain tank and carbs and re-fill. There's certainly not enough drain pipe there to avoid kinking when tank is down.
Not sure if this problem is a common one but thought I'd share this with you all in case you have similar symptoms.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-20, 10:48 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Water in the tank... again!

Getting a kink in a drain pipe is really easy and really common..... Bit naughty of whoever was working on your bike not to know better! The pipe should lead down to below the bike, just be careful when lowering the tank to make sure it gets fed properly and then give it a gentle tug from the end just to make sure it's not kinked.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-20, 08:29 AM   #3
gadget

Not sure who had worked on it before my ownership besides main dealer tbh, what I thought was a bit odd is this ... the tank drain tube is also connected to the radiator top up tank neck which is then connected to the final drain tube that exits just behind the the oil level window!! Is this a factory fitment? If so I was thinking of re-routing them all so they have 'a clear line of sight ... vertically' so as to avoid any possible kinks and drain easily.

Last edited by gadget; 29-02-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 29-02-20, 09:23 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The ethanol they are so gaily adding to petrol will cause water to collect in fuel as well. Save the planet by chopping down rainforest to plant sugar cane to make ethanol to add to fuel to corrode your fuel system, seems like a great plan to me, where is the downside ?

I cannot see any reason why the drain tube does not just go straight down to under the bike, when I have slopped fuel over filler on my AL7 it immediately appears under the bike so I assume pipe goes straight down.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 08:37 PM   #5
gadget

Would have thought the drain pipe would have gone straight down also but mine is connected to the cooling system filler/level overflow too! So to be on the safe side I'll separate them and give them both a straight shot at the floor.