SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-20, 06:47 PM   #11
daktulos

Default Re: Help desperately needed!

Here's what I would do:

1. Check the continuity between the starter relay (black/yellow wire) and the battery -ve. If there's no connection, it's likely to be the clutch switch or thereabouts.

2. Assuming you have connectivity, check the voltage between the starter relay (yellow/green) and battery -ve when trying to start. It should go high (9-13V). If it does, it's probably the relay itself which is the problem.

3. So, assuming you're not seeing a voltage on the yellow/green when trying to start, find the starter switch and check the voltage with ignition on on the orange/white wire. It should be high all the time. If it is, then the starter switch is the problem.

4. Find the kill switch and check the voltage with the ignition on on the orange/black(?) wire. It should be 12v, if it is, then your kill switch is the problem. This is unlikely if you can start the engine manually as the kill switch also kills the coils.

Edit - this ignores problems in the loom, but should help track down the problem.

Last edited by daktulos; 13-03-20 at 08:35 AM.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-20, 09:05 PM   #12
BlueEyedBiker

Found the culprit, connector to the main loom running from the clutch switch managed to give it a clean and put it back together but then dipped beams have no power but high-beam etc fine. Going to crimp the two wires out of the connector tomorrow and should be all good hopefully. Just have to source a new connector and have fun with fiddly wires in a fiddly spot on the bike.
BlueEyedBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-20, 12:45 PM   #13
BlueEyedBiker

Bypassed the connector for now and the bike starts like she is supposed to but can't get the dipped beams to work now, high beam fine but no dipped beam. Reading a huge resistance in the wire but might be buried in the loom somewhere. Any ideas? I changed the bulbs for the Phillip's 150% brighter because saw alot of people recommend them for the sv650. Any ideas?
Old 18-04-20, 09:46 AM   #14
Toooldtodie

Search on here for no dipped headlights. Very common problem with block connector behind headstock under fuel tank. The corrosion for the headlights causes the high resistance. Clean or bypass the block connector with waterproof bullet or spade connectors. Not a massive job and use the wiring diagram to locate the offending wire connections. Good luck!
Old 18-04-20, 09:54 AM   #15
BlueEyedBiker

Sorry, been a while since being on here but all sorted now bypassed all the offending wires and the headlights ended up being an issue with the clear with black top splitter tucked in the front fairing. Gave it a tap and boom there was light lol
Old 18-04-20, 10:51 AM   #16
Toooldtodie

No wonder so many people throw up their hands with electrical problems! Well done fella, and well done to have the perseverance to get to the bottom of it all.

Now then, when can we get out to ride again??!!
Old 18-04-20, 10:57 AM   #17
BlueEyedBiker

I've been using when temping and for shopping for the house I'm in, not my fault I get lost on the way there and home