SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-20, 03:04 PM   #1
johndo

Default Battery

Battery looks like its finally given up,cannot complain 19yrs not a bad innings.
Anybody know anything about battery's could I use a MBT12B4 temporarily.
Should send the old one back to YUASA for their museum!!
johndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 05:09 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Battery

If it'll fit in and if it'll start it, then certainly. It's a little bit short on cranking current according to the spec, 150CCA, but if it's in good condition and starts the engine it'll do for now.
Old 24-03-20, 05:21 PM   #3
johndo

I thought it might be better as it was for my Multistrada 1000. will give it a measure up , as don't see me getting to bike shop any time soon.
Old 24-03-20, 06:19 PM   #4
johndo

Wont fit too deep. tried a Bikespeeduk they said no longer supply YUASA as acid is separate cannot be posted, thought all batteries had to be sealed not just for postage. They advised BS battery never herd of them anybody got any experience? Not had great success Motobatt they only lased about a year even with 900.
Old 24-03-20, 11:03 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

You might consider a LiFePO4 (lithium) battery. They are rather more expensive, but 1/4 the weight of a lead-acid and if you pick the appropriate one they can deliver huge starting current (CCA).
I have 3 in use now, one of them for a couple of years, with no issues at all. I have stuck to the Shido brand, though if you compare them to the Exide they are obviously from the same production line. I get them from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/ , always had good service from them.

One thing worth noting is that the quoted dimensions for them actually include extra spacers which fit in the bottom to bring them up to the same height as the "equivalent" lead-acid. For example I have fitted an LTZ14S in place of a YTZ10S Yuasa, it's the same height if you don't fit the spacers.

In theory the Ah capacity is less than an equivalent lead battery, but in reality you can use effectively all the charge from a LiFePO4, it delivers at near full rate until almost totally flat, a lead-acid battery fades away after about half discharge so in reality they last fine. A big difference is that a LiFePO4 will charge at a much higher rate when the bike is started, so will be back to full charge in a much shorter time/distance.

Just a thought.
Old 25-03-20, 12:06 PM   #6
johndo

Heard differing reports on using lithium battery. Think I will stick with lead acid YUASA and eat less cakes. it I get same live out of next one bike will be vintage!
Cheers