SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-04-20, 02:28 PM   #61
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Social Distancing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
If we could open them for a couple days in the middle of July that would be fantastic, I can't help but think I'll not be making BPW2020 with the lads
I’m going to post about this in The Border Patrol shortly Chris. There’s a distinct possibility that it may not happen at all the way things are going I’m afraid.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 02:36 PM   #62
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I’m going to post about this in The Border Patrol shortly Chris. There’s a distinct possibility that it may not happen at all the way things are going I’m afraid.
Bo11ocks
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 02:37 PM   #63
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
.....no advice on self isolation.
Did she need it? I'm assuming you have told her we are in Lockdown?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 03:26 PM   #64
Bibio
Mega Poster

the gov and media are scaremongering as they need to due to your average moron in the street not fully understanding the servery of the situation.

we are talking about the type of people who run out panic bought toilet paper.. the reason they done this is that deep in their psyche they were/are shizzing themselves.

lets not forget things like Spanish Flu that killed 50 million people... yes 50 million in just two years.

if everyone followed a few simple rules then we could stop the spread within 6 months. but again its up to the people in the streets. thats never going to happen so the gov will introduce stricter and stricter rules till we have marshal law at which point they will start shooting people and dropping bombs.

gloves. masks and face shields are whats needed from our gov and we need them NOW.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 03:28 PM   #65
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Did she need it? I'm assuming you have told her we are in Lockdown?
No need. She thinks the house is filthy after I've been in it on my own.
She'll stay in for 2 weeks cleaning everything.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 05:53 PM   #66
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the gov and media are scaremongering as they need to due to your average moron in the street not fully understanding the servery of the situation.

I think the gov has a lot more influence over the media than we realise. If the gov tell everyone they have to stay in people don't like it and react against being told what to do. If the media scares people enough that people choose for themselves to stay home then that's people's choice and they go along with what is wanted of them.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:37 PM   #67
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I think the gov has a lot more influence over the media than we realise. If the gov tell everyone they have to stay in people don't like it and react against being told what to do. If the media scares people enough that people choose for themselves to stay home then that's people's choice and they go along with what is wanted of them.
Not quite sure I follow your logic: Why would the media want to do what Gov wanted (i.e. deliver a scary message to general public), just to give the Gov some protection from accusation? Where's the motivation? I don't think even modern media are that devoid of critical thought that they would simply run the presses on an unsubstantiated fear-inducing "influence" message from Gov source.

A more worrying hypothesis about the power-dynamic is that media started scaremongering so that public would clamour for "something to be done", effectively forcing Gov into action.

Maybe the reality is that it's a bit of both - media and government have a sort of symbiotic relationship at present. However, I'm sure I don't trust either of them to the point where I will comply purely on a faith basis. Some sort of credible justification is required.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:39 PM   #68
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
... But it seems unclear if the stats are reporting people that died WITH a Covid-19 infection, of those that died OF it. ...
I think that's an important distinction that seems to be getting lost at the minute.

FWIW, I actually thought this was a reasonable article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Last edited by Ruffy; 02-04-20 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added extra quote
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:29 PM   #69
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I don't necessarily believe 90% of the hype and opinion that accompanies the news however if you concentrate on just the facts and do your own basic research behind them you get a pretty clear picture of what is going on. Being married to a GP I get to see a lot of the views and opinions being expressed directly in the medical world and until a couple of weeks ago their frustration was that the media, and the public, just weren't appreciating just how bad this virus is. Now the media has caught up and you just have to look at some of the news coming out of the USA at the moment to get a picture of how nasty Colvid-19 is and what it's capable of. Anyone with any sense whatsoever wouldn't be looking for excuses to get round the current lockdown regulations, they would be looking at ways they can stay away from people and infection sites.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-20, 12:51 PM   #70
Bibio
Mega Poster

i wonder what the impact on the air quality has been since lockdown in places like london.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote