SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-20, 01:17 PM   #8051
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Timing...

My wife's contract of employment was terminated over the phone with an hours notice by the NHS due to her ill health Last Thursday, about 3 hours after I posted her ill health retirement application through the front door of the pensions dept.

We knew it was coming, but brutal process. TBH, her managers, HR and pensions have gone out of their way to treat her with respect. Co-Incidentally she was paid last Thursday and we were advised her salary in lieu of notice, outstanding leave etc would be paid next month at the next payroll run.

Nope, it happened a week later, yesterday and her outstanding money is now in the bank.... But timing. If they had done at the next month, ie. tax year 20-21. She would not be taxable, so she has lost £600 to the taxman simply because her salary in lieu was processed ASAP instead of when her next salary was due.

Not looking forward to claiming her benefit entitlement, we have a estimate as to her rubbish NHS pension. But no formal statement and told in normal times it can take 8 -12 weeks.
Old 11-04-20, 10:09 PM   #8052
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I try to not get wound up or comment on things political, but Matt Hancock... what a putrid individual. I think it's time he spent a few days on an ICU ward with no PPE at all and see how long it takes him to learn some empathy.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 09:23 AM   #8053
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Whoever didn't install a manhole along with the toilet in the extension of this house. Currently digging up hardcore just to clear a drain

Silverlining: At least it's sunny

Brownlining : The sun's making it stink more
Old 14-04-20, 09:58 AM   #8054
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Make sure you're wearing two pairs of gloves. The smell of drain water doesn't come off your hands for weeks until the skin wears away. I made the mistake of going without gloves once and every time I lifted food to my mouth for the next week I nearly thre up with the smell ingrained in my hands, even after scrubbing them raw to try and clean the smell off.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 11:01 AM   #8055
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Whoever didn't install a manhole along with the toilet in the extension of this house. Currently digging up hardcore just to clear a drain
If you haven't started stop a moment!!

For our extension we planned a manhole in the house for the sewer. Welsh Water turned down consent as they no longer want manholes in houses. The reason they said no was that there are rodding access points upstream and downstream of our extension, rendering our manhole redundant.

Have you checked for a rodding point (manholes or just a little flappy cover thing) withing range elsewhere? Next door's garden? in the back lane?

Good luch whatever the outcome.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 11:37 AM   #8056
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
If you haven't started stop a moment!!

For our extension we planned a manhole in the house for the sewer. Welsh Water turned down consent as they no longer want manholes in houses. The reason they said no was that there are rodding access points upstream and downstream of our extension, rendering our manhole redundant.

Have you checked for a rodding point (manholes or just a little flappy cover thing) withing range elsewhere? Next door's garden? in the back lane?

Good luch whatever the outcome.
Cheers Mike, there is a rodding point (big unscrew cap) but it's unsuitable as it then immediately goes round a double U bend so you can't rod there. It then goes round a couple of other bends before joining a manhole on the original sewage lines. Dynorod have tried this and failed, bit worried the drain has collapsed.

I've had to dig down to a straight piece of pipe to rod each way. Just detol-ing my drill as I've had to holesaw a rodding point and found out just how much pressure was in there

Was wearing gloves but no goggles, luckily I dodged fast enough!
Old 14-04-20, 02:48 PM   #8057
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers Mike, there is a rodding point (big unscrew cap) but it's unsuitable as it then immediately goes round a double U bend so you can't rod there. It then goes round a couple of other bends before joining a manhole on the original sewage lines. Dynorod have tried this and failed, bit worried the drain has collapsed.

I've had to dig down to a straight piece of pipe to rod each way. Just detol-ing my drill as I've had to holesaw a rodding point and found out just how much pressure was in there

Was wearing gloves but no goggles, luckily I dodged fast enough!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 03:00 PM   #8058
Dave20046
Mega Poster

You'll be pleased to hear I've managed to move the block and am now bunging my hole.
Old 14-04-20, 03:35 PM   #8059
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
You'll be pleased to hear I've managed to move the block and am now bunging my hole.
Can't stop sniggering. Must cancel my subscription to Viz.....
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 04:03 PM   #8060
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Can't stop sniggering. Must cancel my subscription to Viz.....