SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-20, 02:42 PM   #1
BlueEyedBiker

Default Help desperately needed!

Hi everyone,
First post wish it was a happier one but I can't get the bike to turn over and I have tried as much as I can from the forums but still lost. Suspect wiring or switch leading to the starter relay/solenoid.
I desperately need it for work and don't want to remove the seat to start it everytime, especially when filling up (don't think they would like the sparks flying).
I'm in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire and would appreciate any help.
It is a k4 model, battery has been tested and is fine, new solenoid/relay, starter button dims the lights but nothing else, fuel pumps prime fine, 99% certain I tested the clutch switch and starter button right and got good readings.
BlueEyedBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 05:29 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help desperately needed!

when you turn on the ignition can you hear the fuel pump whirr away? Has the battery had a 'drop' test done (not an actual drop) to show it was healthy?

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 06-03-20 at 05:42 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 05:51 PM   #3
BlueEyedBiker

Yeah the fuel pumps prime fine. Went to get the battery load tested but told they couldn't do bike batteries but they did test and had more than enough voltage and cranks alot higher than the battery states apparently. I can start the bike with the battery by skipping the relay but it's a new relay and tried two others that were used so suspecting wiring or connector perhaps.
Side note, where does the idle speed adjuster usually sit because mine hangs and the white plastic end appears broken but looked like it hooked somewhere.
Old 07-03-20, 08:00 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

If you can start the bike by shorting the start relay heavy current contacts, it isn't a battery problem. You would need to check that you get 12V on the start relay when the starter switch is pressed. (on the low current/small wire side - is it yellow/green? I don't have an 04 schematic). If you do have 12V when the starter is pressed then you would need to follow the return path through the clutch switch looking for a break to battery neg (ground/earth). If you don't then you would need to go to the starter switch and check for 12V there.

Do you have a standard clutch lever? Have you tried turning on the ignition, pressing and holding the starter switch whilst "jiggling" the clutch lever and seeing if the starter kicks. I had to do that on my Street Triple a few times.
Old 08-03-20, 09:58 AM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231310

Wiring diagram in link (may not be 100% your bike - but starter circuit surely would be the same, the Japs don't tend to change things unless there is a good reason ).

Seems there are two relays involved in starting, a lighter one that checks the interlocks and the other heavy duty one to actually manhandle the heavy current to the starter motor.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-03-20 at 10:00 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 11:59 AM   #6
BlueEyedBiker

That would appear the be the gen 1 model, I have the gen 2. Checked what I can while being really run down (not Corona virus) and conclude the signal isn't making it from either the starter button or clutch switch but all seems fine up front so assume it's a connector or somewhere in the loom.
Old 09-03-20, 01:35 PM   #7
daktulos

Have you tried with the sidestand up?

I live in St Albans, if you want to borrow a Haynes manual. Alternatively,I can post a photo of the circuit diagram tonight.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 06:44 PM   #8
daktulos

Here you go:

daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 09:43 AM   #9
madcockney

If it's a K4 model it is 2nd gen. Mine was registered in 2004 but is a 2003 model. A first of the second generation. There is only one solenoid that operates the starter motor. The interlocks go back to the seven pin module that also contains the indicators.

First thing to check is if you are getting power to the coil of the solenoid when you push the starter button. If you are then it's likely to be the solenoid but that can be checked with a multimeter. If no power at the solenoid coil then you need to check the to and from the starter switch and connectors etc. You may need to remove the handlebar assembly, dismantle the switch, clean it, reassemble, and check for continuity when the switch is pressed. You will ideally need a multimeter or some other type of continuity tester to do this.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 02:08 PM   #10
BlueEyedBiker

Honestly at this point just looking for a quick fix as she is supposed to be my transport and been out of action over a week and don't have enough to take it to a garage.
Potentially looking at finding the dead wire or connection and cut it out the circuit to use a new wire.