SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-13, 01:51 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike vs Public Transport

if it were not for people like LPH we would not have a public transport system.

well done and may it continue.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 01:58 PM   #12
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
That doesn't really work when you wear a dress every day!
I've seen a dress worn over leathers.

But I suspect the fit of that item was a little off in the first instance.

Jambo
Old 07-06-13, 04:06 PM   #13
L3nny
Mega Poster

Ahh the problems of Londoners, for the rest of the country public transport is simply not an option. It's quicker for me to walk to work than take the bus and I live in a fairly large town.

Where I lived before in rural Warwickshire the 15 mile trip to work would have taken over two hours and on a Sunday I wouldn't have been able to get there at all.
Old 07-06-13, 06:42 PM   #14
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Irritatingly for me the line from HW to Bourne End was a casualty of the Beeching cuts. Shame really as my new office (I start on Monday) is right next to Maidenhead station and if the line to BE was still in place it would take me directly on to... Maidenhead. Shame. I start at silly early o'clock which is ahead of the rush but it's getting home across HW that's no fun as it's always heaving between 4 and 7, so a train option would have been considered.

Public transport has never been an option for any of my work locations without several bus connections that would take twice as long. So I've always had to drive. Most have been reasonably close or with fairly free-flowing traffic meaning the bike would take longer once the time-to-change was factored in, even on the way home.

Don't blame you for using the train to be honest LPH. I could not face commuting to London full stop but on the rare days I need to go in for business hours I'd never consider the bike - give me country roads over filtering hell every time!
Old 07-06-13, 08:28 PM   #15
ethariel

As long as there is no ice on my 2 side roads (or as long as I'm not drinking in the evening) I much prefer to take the bike, saves me 60 to 90 minutes a day on my commute.

Plus if I have the bike, I'm far less inclined to work that extra 20 or 30 minutes each evening, much easier to just get changed and leave!
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 08:43 PM   #16
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Unless you have a permanent place of work, with shower facilities, somewhere to safely store bike gear and you live in the south of France, commuting by bike sucks.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 10:50 PM   #17
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Irritatingly for me the line from HW to Bourne End was a casualty of the Beeching cuts. Shame really as my new office (I start on Monday) is right next to Maidenhead station and if the line to BE was still in place it would take me directly on to... Maidenhead. Shame. I start at silly early o'clock which is ahead of the rush but it's getting home across HW that's no fun as it's always heaving between 4 and 7, so a train option would have been considered.

Public transport has never been an option for any of my work locations without several bus connections that would take twice as long. So I've always had to drive. Most have been reasonably close or with fairly free-flowing traffic meaning the bike would take longer once the time-to-change was factored in, even on the way home.

Don't blame you for using the train to be honest LPH. I could not face commuting to London full stop but on the rare days I need to go in for business hours I'd never consider the bike - give me country roads over filtering hell every time!
Ffs, that was 1963! You must be older than me.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 08:22 AM   #18
Balky001
Mega Poster

I commuted from Southend to St Paul's for a couple of years but that was when petrol was 80p a litre. Now the train is just as cheap, more relaxing and a lot safer than the A13 at 7am. I don't miss the bike commute most of the time (OK, when there are delays or sun is shining in the holidays and roads not as busy), especially the miles and miles of filtering in almost stand still traffic waiting for someone to pull out on you.
Old 08-06-13, 09:55 AM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
And when you add in the cost of running your bike over that distance daily, and I mean proper cost including depreciation, tyres and such like as well as fuel, and then the increased risk you both yourself and the bike, public transport starts to make even more sense. The only advantage of the bike is the flexibility, but on a straightforward daily commute that may not be so important to you.
Pft maybe if you live in London.

Public transport anywhere else isn't a realistic option, for me it would be 3 hours to go 20 miles.*

Or I get near 60mpg, 12,000+ miles out of a tyre, and I don't agree with depreciation.

*Or about 15 years after killing someone. The horrific emotional cost of sharing a confined space with so many poor people would result in a murder.
Old 08-06-13, 10:04 AM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
That doesn't really work when you wear a dress every day!
wear a short dress then.
how do you manage to rub your make up off.
eyelashes and lips to close to the lids chin bar?
You could leve your work stuff at work ?
the stress bit . well best stick with trains