SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-01-16, 02:40 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default parkrun

Any parkrunners here then?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 12:06 PM   #2
scotty217

Default Re: parkrun

Yeah me, I run in Telford town park when shifts and family stuff allow me.
Old 04-01-16, 01:25 PM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I'm an armchair parkrunner!

I've been meaning to get on with it for ages, but I tend to run the dog around the local lake and woods, rather than driving to the nearest venue, run, then drive back.

I've got a TomTom cardio GPS watch thingumy that tracks me, my heart rate, speed, pace etc etc. Plots it all on Google maps, lets me see all the data I could ever want to know about how slow and unfit I've become since I stopped running in September, for no good reason!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 01:53 PM   #4
MattCollins

Not I... I can't run to save my skin, but my GF, girl and a bunch of their friends occasionally do the local park run together.

http://www.parkrun.com.au/torrens/course/
Old 04-01-16, 02:35 PM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

I ran either Catton or Eaton Park runs in Norwich for a few months until I started getting shin splints so I stopped for a few weeks over Christmas. Went and did a "running gait analysis" and now have a new pair of pronation trainers so hopefully I can start up again - first training run tonight

My times are woeful though - my best is only 28 minutes something... lol
Old 04-01-16, 04:35 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty217 View Post
Yeah me, I run in Telford town park when shifts and family stuff allow me.
Shrewsbury for me. I must don the parkrun tourist t-shirt and come over to Telford sometime. Wife and daughters run there now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
I'm an armchair parkrunner!

I've been meaning to get on with it for ages, but I tend to run the dog around the local lake and woods, rather than driving to the nearest venue, run, then drive back.

I've got a TomTom cardio GPS watch thingumy that tracks me, my heart rate, speed, pace etc etc. Plots it all on Google maps, lets me see all the data I could ever want to know about how slow and unfit I've become since I stopped running in September, for no good reason!

Pete
What's nice about parkrun is that it's rarely a drive/run/drive thing. It's a very sociable affair, catching up with people you see every week and going for coffee and cake after the run.
I like the contrast too, between my day to day running which is almost entirely very hilly trails (my favourite type of running) and the flat, easy going of parkrun which allows me to focus once a week on times rather than distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I ran either Catton or Eaton Park runs in Norwich for a few months until I started getting shin splints so I stopped for a few weeks over Christmas. Went and did a "running gait analysis" and now have a new pair of pronation trainers so hopefully I can start up again - first training run tonight

My times are woeful though - my best is only 28 minutes something... lol
I suffered a series of calf/ankle injuries last year until a fellow parkrunner pointed me in the direction of a pair of calf compression sleeves. I bought a pair of Hilly sleeves, wear them every time I run, and have not had a single problem since.
Times do come down once you get into it. Mid week running definitely helps. My first parkrun time in November 2014 was over 28 minutes. The last two weeks I ran 23m58s (boxing day) and 23m51s last Saturday. I'm aiming for a sub 23m run this year.
Keep going!
Old 04-01-16, 04:43 PM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I suffered a series of calf/ankle injuries last year until a fellow parkrunner pointed me in the direction of a pair of calf compression sleeves. I bought a pair of Hilly sleeves, wear them every time I run, and have not had a single problem since.
Times do come down once you get into it. Mid week running definitely helps. My first parkrun time in November 2014 was over 28 minutes. The last two weeks I ran 23m58s (boxing day) and 23m51s last Saturday. I'm aiming for a sub 23m run this year.
Keep going!
Thanks for the motivation Will look into the Hilly Sleeves if I have any more issues. Do you use Strava? Hook up with me on there if you like - send a PM
Old 04-01-16, 05:03 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I don't use Strava I'm afraid as there is no app available for my Windows phone. I use mapmyrun and then just take the phone with me to record my runs. I don't bother using it on parkrun though. Happy to hook up if the two systems will talk to each other though. I'll pm you later.