SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-10-16, 08:20 PM   #21
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: loud exhausts save lives...

Not all the time but in some scenarios, particularly when filtering. I commute by car daily and look at the difference between standard cans and aftermarkets on the bikes coming past. Often I think people only move/look because they see I have.
The thing I see the most which still drives me facking insane is folded in mirrors, not only does it mean they can't see the bike approaching it means they haven't checked their mirrors ONCE since leaving their house to wherever we are...or don't care. Silent bikes and car drivers like that really make me worry.

There have been instances on group rides where we've been doing a motorway section and have swapped leader to a louder can, just to get the traffic to part . There is definitely an increased chance of being heard.
Old 07-10-16, 08:29 PM   #22
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcockney View Post
What they will do is **** off pedestrians and local residents, but in a car, especially where they have the insulation of the vehicle plus any on board sound system, that is virtually impossible to hear. Ask yourself what way the pipes point and what direction are the cars going. I like the sound of different cans but that is a personal preference, but they don't have to be excessively loud to do that. I never delude myself that they are any form of safety device or precaution.
Make a wish and every bike in the uk suddenly has standard cans...those pedestrians are still getting ****ed off with Harley Davidsons.

I think most of the public just accept 'motorbikes are loud', there's no need to be hyper aware or worrying that you are annoying them. I remember people marveling at how far you could hear certain sportscars, not living far away from quite popular country roads we used to hear them a lot and guess what it was, never got annoyed.

I think for most people fast/performance=loud and they accept that...what that has been proven to do is skew people's perception of speed which is my worry. If I'm on a bike with a loud can are people going to assume I'm screaming past really fast? Then imagine you are involved with an accident ; humans have a morbid interest in accidents, those people would probably bear witness that the bike was going 'way too fast' without really taking in anything other than the sound at the time it passed them and then piecing together the memories once they're aware there's an accident.
Old 08-10-16, 11:02 AM   #23
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post

I think for most people fast/performance=loud and they accept that...what that has been proven to do is skew people's perception of speed which is my worry. If I'm on a bike with a loud can are people going to assume I'm screaming past really fast? Then imagine you are involved with an accident ; humans have a morbid interest in accidents, those people would probably bear witness that the bike was going 'way too fast' without really taking in anything other than the sound at the time it passed them and then piecing together the memories once they're aware there's an accident.
That is a very valid point and is in human nature to equate loud with fast. Is that another reason for us all to wear helmet cams?
Old 08-10-16, 11:18 AM   #24
Red ones
Mega Poster

There are times I have used reverse psychology.
If I want to go fast I check the baffle is in. Why draw attention to myself through more reasons than necessary?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 11:18 PM   #25
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
That is a very valid point and is in human nature to equate loud with fast. Is that another reason for us all to wear helmet cams?
Don't agree. We have 3 dimensional hearing and can place a moving sound reasonably accurately as long as it is audible. There are other cues - rising pitch indicates acceleration. Volume is pretty much irrelevant.

But perhaps not everyone is the same.
Old 09-10-16, 09:37 PM   #26
madcockney

There is some research into what we hear, what we associate it with in relationship to vehicles, etc. I don't think that I still have it, but will have a look, but I am sure that an Internet search will discover it if people are really interested.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 11:29 AM   #27
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Volume doesn't equal easier to locate.
The whine wop wop sirens of emergency vechles are a pain to figure out what direction they come from.
Old 10-10-16, 05:11 PM   #28
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Don't agree. We have 3 dimensional hearing and can place a moving sound reasonably accurately as long as it is audible. There are other cues - rising pitch indicates acceleration. Volume is pretty much irrelevant.

But perhaps not everyone is the same.
It may not apply to ophics , or even me as someone who quite likes a deep exhaust note so wouldn't be looking to demonise them. But on a test group it applies to the majority of humans.
I've only quickly googled it on my telefonical device but this study mentions it

http://scholarship.law.campbell.edu/...73&context=clr
Old 11-10-16, 08:45 AM   #29
ophic
Mega Poster

Nice post and a good find. I'll be sure to keep that study handy.

"Of course I wasn't speeding Officer, my v-twin is just a bit noisy"

Seriously though it does give grounds to discredit any witness that says you were going too fast if your vehicle is noisy, thereby levelling the playing field once again.

I may not be a good example of the average Joe, having obtained a degree in Sound Engineering.
Old 11-10-16, 12:31 PM   #30
Bibio
Mega Poster

the lower a note becomes the less directional it is. white noise is a fantastic directional noise that humans can hear where the source is. low frequency bass note on the other hand and you are less likely to hear the source, get below 30hz and you have no chance hearing where its source is.

i often wonder why they dont incorporate white noise into emergency vehicle sirens.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote