SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-10, 02:35 PM   #1
andreis

Default Gel seat pad - where from?

I've got another problem on my mind :

My girlfriend wants to buy her first bike after getting the license.. Trouble is, she's a shorty.. She can reach fine on a honda cb 125 and a kawasaki er-6f/n, so she's not THAT short. But for an SV (i've had nothing to do with that decision ) I'd need to trim down the seat a couple of cm's. Something in the range of 3-4cm (1 1/2") would do just nicely.

Being in a remote part of europe, it's hard to reach some upholstery shops. So... I've decided to do it myself.

In order to be able to bring down the foam (which is some 7-8 cm thick - ~3 inches), I need a gel pad to insert in order to get it to be comfy enough.
I would also like to do this with my bike as well, as the seat isn't as comfy as I would like (I get numb bum after about 100 miles).

Sooo... where do I get gel pads ? I've been googling and can't seem to find anything but american firms that sell this. Obviously I would like to bring down shipping costs down as much as possible (would make no sense to pay 80 euros for the pads and 100 for the shipping )

Any other ideas are welcomed as well, but I warn you that I don't want to go down the suspension lowering road, as that would be lots of money for something that can be easily achieved by saddle modding. Plus, I need the extra comfort for myself as well.
Old 27-07-10, 02:37 PM   #2
andreis

Default Re: Gel Pads

Oh, just another thing I forgot to mention.. I mentioned the other bikes in order to uphold that the seat would need to be ~780mm tall and slimmer then what it is now (805mm high in a standard SV and a bit too wide)
Old 27-07-10, 02:56 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gel Pads

http://www.handyhealthcare.co.uk/mob...l-padding.html

http://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/shop...-gel-seat-pad/

i got the danmedica one and it was fekin ace. i took the foam completely out and replaced with gel cushion.

Last edited by Bibio; 27-07-10 at 02:58 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-10, 07:51 PM   #4
tim8061

Default Re: Gel seat pad - where from?

ebay!
Old 27-07-10, 07:59 PM   #5
andreis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim8061 View Post
ebay!
To my great shame, I don't go on ebay and don't really know how to get around it... But will try the firms suggested in the previous post first.
Old 27-07-10, 08:19 PM   #6
coolevilangel

Check this out
Owner did this himself to his seat, and made a damn good job of it too
Might give you inspiration!
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38958
Old 28-07-10, 11:45 AM   #7
tim8061

that's what inspired me to hack mine, and it was a lot easier than anticipated. I only removed about 1/2" from the centre to make it slightly hollow, but haven't ridden it much since to see if this completely cures the numb-bum syndrome. That was a free mod though, and I'll be fitting a gel pad next if necessary now I know how easy it is to rework the seat.
Old 28-07-10, 11:47 AM   #8
andreis

Yeah, I also thought it would be easy-peasy and after a couple of 400miles trips I swore I'd do it. Now just to wait on the delivery and start the anti-numb-bum society
Old 28-07-10, 11:52 AM   #9
tim8061

And you can get different coloured materials to recover it with off ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-SEA...#ht_2927wt_704

I can't comment on quality though as I just reused the original. Now I've seen it though, fitting a gel pad and different coloured cover sounds tempting for the next mod . . . . hmm . .
Old 28-07-10, 09:28 PM   #10
SUPERSTARDJ01

Suzuki sell gel seats.