SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-10-04, 04:49 PM   #1
Keitht

Default Accident. Advice please...

Hi all,

Just had a numpty cage driver do an illegal u-turn in front of me. Pulled out of some no right turn lights onto putney bridge road, lady decides she wants to go right anyway. Managed to scrub off most of the speed (90 degree corner so not much anyway) and basically toppled off the bike after bouncing off her doors.

Ended up with some scratches to the lowers, bar ends, brake lever and exhaust, and slider which did it's job well enough.

Thing is I didn't get any witnesses so is it worth pursuing her to get the damage fixed as she hasn't admitted guilt or just cut my losses and leave her to claim for the damage to her car?

Any advice gratefully received.

Keith
Old 22-10-04, 05:17 PM   #2
Gforceuk

Report to the police...if you havent already.

tell your insurance company... i presume you got her details.... and then claim her ass off.
Old 22-10-04, 05:40 PM   #3
donniej

You should have gotten a police report immediately. I'd push her to get her or her insurance to pay for it.
Old 22-10-04, 06:33 PM   #4
Keitht

Thanks guys.

Have reported to my insurance and they say they can claim from hers - hopefully will not affect my NCD. Taking it into the garage tomorrow to get an estimate, I think it may be quite large

Apparently the police won't come to minor accidents any more, only if there are injuries / fatalities etc. Have managed to find a witness though so hopefully OK.

Keith
Old 22-10-04, 10:50 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht
Thanks guys.

Have reported to my insurance and they say they can claim from hers - hopefully will not affect my NCD. Taking it into the garage tomorrow to get an estimate, I think it may be quite large

Apparently the police won't come to minor accidents any more, only if there are injuries / fatalities etc. Have managed to find a witness though so hopefully OK.

Keith
Yup tis true, unless there are injuries you don't even have to report it to the police at all
Old 22-10-04, 11:56 PM   #6
Barty_b0y

first things first you need get the police involved

however the police dont get invovled unless someone is injured so heres what you gotta do

1 go to hospital with neck pains or somthing aches bruises what ever

2 then report it to the police

3 you have 24 hours to do this then you are liable to a fine for not reporting an accindent

then they will rush her for a statment

it will help your case before she fabricates a story on paper

talking to a copper is slightly more daunting than paper

only my 2 ps worth
Old 23-10-04, 07:21 AM   #7
SteveH

You did the right thing with a witness that helps alot. second go back to where it happened and take some pic's so you can mark out where she was etc and to show she was in the wrong lane when she turned
Old 23-10-04, 07:31 PM   #8
Stig

Just for further clarification on the reporting to police thing, I stand correct in my previous comment.

Because the third party alledgedly commited an offence by turning right when not allowed to, then you SHOULD call the police and report the accident. As found in the Met Police Q & A's

Hope this clears things up for you
Old 23-10-04, 08:42 PM   #9
curium

photos of the scene (incl. no turn sign), damage etc straight away
write down a full account of the incident and road condtions while still fresh.

It'll be 50/50 unless you can prove her position in the road and her prior movements. Also if you were filtering it'll be 50/50
Old 23-10-04, 08:44 PM   #10
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
Just for further clarification on the reporting to police thing, I stand correct in my previous comment.

Because the third party alledgedly commited an offence by turning right when not allowed to, then you SHOULD call the police and report the accident. As found in the Met Police Q & A's

Hope this clears things up for you

or you could have asked me....lol....sorry only just read the thread...oh well i'll crawl back in my box until someone needs me...lol