SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-09, 09:28 PM   #1
AndyL

Default How much lube? (Chain lube!)

Ok, so carrying on from my other thread, I have adjusted my chain tension and cleaned the chain to day using parafin. Tomorrow I will be lubing the chain with Castrol chain lube. I have read through previous threads and if I have understood correctly then it is best to apply the chain lube to the top side of the bottom part of the chain and then push the bike forwards a bit and repeat on the next section of the chain until the entire chain is lubed? (is this correct?). The part I am unsure about is how much chain lube should be applied to each section? Does anyone have a photo of a correctly lubed chain?

Cheers

Andy
Old 03-01-09, 09:34 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: How much lube? (Chain lube!)

Just get it all so it's a bit wet with lube, just needs a coating. Doesn't need to be absoltely dripping in it. (not an exact science!)
Old 03-01-09, 11:02 PM   #3
skyline

What I do for chain lubing is...

- Get bike on paddock stand to save pushing the bike forward to get to different parts of the chain
- Hold a rag to bottom section of chain and spray the chain section with lube
- Use the rag to wipe the lube into the chain and get the lube into all the nooks and crannies
- Go to next section of chain until done!

Doing it this way tends to clean the chain as well as lube (well a lot of muck comes off anyway) but I still use paraffin on the chain every so often. It also helps minimize fling too.

HTH
Old 05-01-09, 05:22 PM   #4
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Keep doing it till it's all a bit moist...

(ooo errr!)
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 06:22 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Just get it all so it's a bit wet with lube, just needs a coating. Doesn't need to be absoltely dripping in it. (not an exact science!)
See Also: Don't lubricate your chain like alpinestarhero. Its not bad for the chain, but it makes a right bloody mess
Old 10-01-09, 01:08 PM   #6
AndyL

Ok so I have only just managed to get around to lubing the chain and Im wondering if I have done it correctly i.e. the correct amount? Also should it look the colour that it does?
I used Castrol chain wax from Halfords.

Last edited by AndyL; 10-01-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 02:29 PM   #7
kwak zzr

the only thing that puts me off that stuff is its white appearance, thats why i use that wurth dry stuff.
Old 10-01-09, 02:33 PM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

looks like chainwax to me. Just plaster your chain with it, it'll only fling off what it don't need anyway. Plus , its better applied to a warm chain. What I usually do is clean the chain go out for a quick spin, then apply what ever lube is on hand. It miht sizzle a bit, but it sticks better and don't fling as much

But then I may just be odd

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 03:09 PM   #9
AndyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
the only thing that puts me off that stuff is its white appearance, thats why i use that wurth dry stuff.
I find that it lets a novice like myself easily see where I have actually lubricated
Old 10-01-09, 03:33 PM   #10
kwak zzr

u can with any lube, you'll see it go on and look wet just the wurth stuff seems to dry up in a few seconds.