SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-09, 11:40 PM   #1
Miles

Default Autocom helmet fitting

An autocom 200 duo landed today, and after a quick fiddle around with it I'm not overly convinced the headphones will go comfortably into either mine or my girlfriends helmet.

I've got an Arai Astro R and she's got a Shoei XR1000. My Arai is at least lined so I can hopefully tuck the speaker behind that which might improve things, but the Shoei doesn't have lined ear recesses so I'm not overly sure if its going to work.

Has anyone got any advice / pictures on how / if to fit them properly?

If they impinge on comfort at all then I think I'll have to send it back as it wont be worth it....
Old 24-03-09, 11:42 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Autocom helmet fitting

I popped the cheek pads out of my Arai Corsair and there was a nice recess there to drop the earpieces in . I then took the removeable lining out of the helmet and ran the wires behind that and popped it all back in , You wouldn`t even know it was there . As far as the Shoei is concerned I can`t help with that apart from one thing ...... I have heard that somebody does "In-Ear" headphones with a 7 pin Din plug on the end .... that may be your answer there mate
Old 25-03-09, 08:54 AM   #3
The Guru

http://www.intaride.com/

http://www.intaride.com/integra.html
Old 25-03-09, 09:11 AM   #4
Essex of Essex

Autocom have fitting guides (words and pictures) for many helmets on line.
Old 25-03-09, 09:39 AM   #5
carty

I've had the same problem mate. The speakers / mic fit lovely in my Arai as I could take the lining out; but on the Shark helmet the wife uses with no removable lining there is nowhere to put the speakers! We've only used it a couple of times but each time I've had to sellotape it all in which obviously isn't ideal!

I think the only options are to either get a new Arai helmet (or similar with a removable lining) or get the in-ear speakers Badger speaks of - though that still doesn't solve where you put the mic.
Old 25-03-09, 03:22 PM   #6
philbut

I fitted mine to my girls Shark RSR II (or similar, can't remember the exact model). My Arai RX7 is the same but you can simply slip the covers off the cheek pads rather than having to peel off any sticky.

1) Removed the cheek pads
2) CAREFULLY peel back the sticky film that holds the fabric onto the rear of the polyestyrene foam pads
3) remove the sponge pads that fit behind the fabric and provide comfort for the ear - if it doesn't have the recess I'd be tempted to cut away at the foam, but this is up to you - I don't think the cheek pads provide any structural support so should be ok.
4) Cut velcro pad to shape and stick in place of the sponge you jsut removed
5) stick in ear piece with hole level with where your ear hole will be
6) replace fabric and secure with original sticky stuff, or add some tape
7) replace cheek pads, remembering to trap mic boom behind.
Old 25-03-09, 05:48 PM   #7
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwrim View Post
or get the in-ear speakers Badger speaks of - though that still doesn't solve where you put the mic.
The Intaride In-Ear ones have a Mic fixed to them on a small skinny boom anyway , so that should solve that problem
Old 25-03-09, 10:33 PM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I just bought a Shoei XR1000 and have to say the headphones fit in there much better than my HJC (the wife has an RST Cobra Vent and that's the worst).

I had a medium HJC FG-15 lid and the headphones did cause me trouble at times.

With the Shoei however, even though it's a small, there is a gap in the padding which is actually cloth lined, which is great because the headphones fit in the gap and the velcro on them sticks easily to the cloth lining.

Best way to do it is put the lid on, slide your forefinger inside the lid from underneath to the point where your ear hole is....push your finger against the lid and slide the lid off keeping your finger in the place where it was level with your ear hole. This is where the headphones should go.

When you look inside the lid and estimate where they should go, in my experience, you always think they should go higher up inside the lid as opposed to quite low towards the chin guard.

Hope this is useful.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote