SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-02-14, 09:10 PM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gun users

no it's not like anything as if there's nothing in the chamber nothing can happen.........

It is sometimes beneficial to keep air rifles cocked to help prevent loosing pressure from the CO2 tank.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 09:15 PM   #12
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
no it's not like anything as if there's nothing in the chamber nothing can happen.........

It is sometimes beneficial to keep air rifles cocked to help prevent loosing pressure from the CO2 tank.
I'm presuming that SO has got the gun loaded (like eveyone else is)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 09:17 PM   #13
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
Totally different thing, so bad analogy.
Doesn't it keep the mainspring under tension?

Which would weaken it over time.

Also Probably not the best idea to keep any weapons cocked and loaded when you don't intend to use them just on general principles.
Old 18-02-14, 09:53 PM   #14
Mrs DJ Fridge

I have always kept my shotguns closed and locked with the safety on, also keep the cartridges in a seperate safe.
Old 18-02-14, 09:54 PM   #15
timwilky
Mega Poster

There is nothing worse than an ND happening 3ft behind you and your first reaction being am I hit. then who is hit and then the relief being turned to rage as you realise how some idiot who should have more sense has endangered you and your friends.

Keeping any gun cocked unless you are in a position to pull the trigger is damn stupid. I have in my life had ND happen on my watch twice. no ifs and buts, your out of there. No invite back.

I had one near episode myself with a 9mm with a broken inertia firing pin where I was having to turn a replacement. I put a live round in the breech in order to gauge the depth. I couldn't use a used round as the depression in the primer would have got my lengths wrong. Yes you guessed it I forgot there was one chambered when I eventually pulled the trigger whilst looking at the business end and one flew over my shoulder.

So my thoughts, never compromise your or any one elses safety. Leaving a firearm cocked is half way to it going bang. safety catches are not fool proof, most simply disengage or interlock the trigger mechanism. They do not necessarily stop the hammer from falling.

Why do you think with even single action revolvers. Most wise users would carry with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Old 18-02-14, 09:57 PM   #16
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
There is nothing worse than an ND happening 3ft behind you and your first reaction being am I hit. then who is hit and then the relief being turned to rage as you realise how some idiot who should have more sense has endangered you and your friends.

Keeping any gun cocked unless you are in a position to pull the trigger is damn stupid. I have in my life had ND happen on my watch twice. no ifs and buts, your out of there. No invite back.

I had one near episode myself with a 9mm with a broken inertia firing pin where I was having to turn a replacement. I put a live round in the breech in order to gauge the depth. I couldn't use a used round as the depression in the primer would have got my lengths wrong. Yes you guessed it I forgot there was one chambered when I eventually pulled the trigger whilst looking at the business end and one flew over my shoulder.

So my thoughts, never compromise your or any one elses safety. Leaving a firearm cocked is half way to it going bang. safety catches are not fool proof, most simply disengage or interlock the trigger mechanism. They do not necessarily stop the hammer from falling.

Why do you think with even single action revolvers. Most wise users would carry with an empty chamber under the hammer.
+1
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 09:59 PM   #17
Mrs DJ Fridge

I believe the original question was regarding shotguns, most commercially available shotgun safes require the gun to be closed for it to be safely and securely locked away, totally different for handguns obviously.
Old 18-02-14, 10:01 PM   #18
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs DJ Fridge View Post
I believe the original question was regarding shotguns, most commercially available shotgun safes require the gun to be closed for it to be safely and securely locked away, totally different for handguns obviously.
Doesn't say anything about safes in the op, asks about cocking a gun
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 10:11 PM   #19
timwilky
Mega Poster

With my shotguns when I closed them, it would be with the trigger pulled so they were not cocked. When carried in company, they would be broken unless in a case. Only time ever cocked was with a cartridge in the breech.
Old 18-02-14, 10:22 PM   #20
Mrs DJ Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
With my shotguns when I closed them, it would be with the trigger pulled so they were not cocked. When carried in company, they would be broken unless in a case. Only time ever cocked was with a cartridge in the breech.
Indeed