SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-04, 04:28 PM   #1
Baldyman

Default Fitting an Autocom system

Has anyone any experience/tips for connecting in one of these systems?
I've heard that the best place to take the feed from is the back light.
Please speak slowly and clearly, I'm no good at electrics
Old 06-12-04, 04:34 PM   #2
shutdown

i saw a simple version in Maplins the other day. a little box you attach to your waist and plug your headset and your pillions into and that was it. It's probably very poor quality but for £20 it could be worth a shot.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...eria=motorbike
Old 06-12-04, 04:54 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

I have use a £20 set that I was given - ok for about 20 mins, and upto about 50mph - after that you can't hear anything, and your ear hurts coz the earphones are cheap and nasty!

I bought an autocom at the NEC - haven't got round to fitting it yry, however in theory you wire the +ve to the rear light and the -ve to the battery - can't tell you much more than that at the moment until I have fitted it.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 04:57 PM   #4
shutdown

i saw a good one at the show and nearly bought it but the thought of the missus talking (nagging) to me whilst riding suddenly painted a dull image of future riding enjoyment
Old 08-12-04, 01:05 PM   #5
simon-temple

Hi,

I've got an autocom fitted to the bike. Wire it through another circuit such as the brake light or rear lamp. The brake circuit has power to it all the time until the power ignition is turned off. Similar with the rear lamp, but obviously only on when the lights are on.

Fitting it is really easy, just make sure that the main unit is easy to get at as you will have a bit of fiddling around with VOX settings until you find a good balance.

Just one other thought, I used my MP3 player on it with a "normal" 1m lead. It was really quiet, but I tried a lead with gold plugs and it made a huge difference. Not sure if the length of lead is th e problem or the leads. The one with gold plugs was just a cheapo thing so nothing flash.

you should have fitting instructions for putting the headphones and mic in the lid. Follow them as best you can as the mic position in relationship to the mouth makes a big difference. Also try to get the phones as close to the ear 'ole as possible.

We have just started using the autocom with kenwood funky transievers so me and the girlfriend can talk to each other. It's really strange talking to her when she is almost half a mile in front of me!...over

simon
Old 08-12-04, 01:50 PM   #6
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon-temple
Hi,

I've got an autocom fitted to the bike. Wire it through another circuit such as the brake light or rear lamp. The brake circuit has power to it all the time until the power ignition is turned off. Similar with the rear lamp, but obviously only on when the lights are on.

Fitting it is really easy, just make sure that the main unit is easy to get at as you will have a bit of fiddling around with VOX settings until you find a good balance.

Just one other thought, I used my MP3 player on it with a "normal" 1m lead. It was really quiet, but I tried a lead with gold plugs and it made a huge difference. Not sure if the length of lead is th e problem or the leads. The one with gold plugs was just a cheapo thing so nothing flash.

you should have fitting instructions for putting the headphones and mic in the lid. Follow them as best you can as the mic position in relationship to the mouth makes a big difference. Also try to get the phones as close to the ear 'ole as possible.

We have just started using the autocom with kenwood funky transievers so me and the girlfriend can talk to each other. It's really strange talking to her when she is almost half a mile in front of me!...over

simon
The minor issue with connecting it to the brake light is that it'll only work when you illuminate the brake light by pulling the brake lever!

Also, the K3 has the lights permanently wired on, so the rear light is an ideal place to connect it to! It's also really easy to connect it to the rear light, as the wire is under the pillion seat! (I seem to remember the rear light +ve feed is the grey wire on the 3-way multi-connector on the left hand side of the storage area [as you sit on the bike], kept in place by a removable cable-tie!)

HTH
Old 08-12-04, 02:39 PM   #7
simon-temple

If you wire it to the brake circuit after the switch then yes your right. But if you use the feed to the switch then it has power otherwise you brake light wouldn't work when you activate the switch.
Old 08-12-04, 02:42 PM   #8
coombest

Quote:
If you wire it to the brake circuit after the switch then yes your right. But if you use the feed to the switch then it has power otherwise you brake light wouldn't work when you activate the switch.
D'Oh!! Of course! I hadn't looked at it that way. I figured it would probably be too complex & time consuming to get to it! At least, when I fitted the heated grips to mine & Ian's bike, I certainly couldn't be bothered to do anything that long winded!!!
Old 08-12-04, 04:10 PM   #9
simon-temple

I'm going to fit heated grips to my girlfriends Virago (stumped staight off with trying to get the old grips off though!! stupid custom bar ends!!!) but I was thinking about trying to run them through a relay so if she leaves the switch on she won't drain he battery. Any ideas how I should go about it?

I thought is I take a feed off the lights then once she turns them one that will trip the relay and allow the power to flow, no? as you may have guessed I'm a bit more vague on this point
Old 08-12-04, 04:21 PM   #10
coombest

Quote:
I'm going to fit heated grips to my girlfriends Virago (stumped staight off with trying to get the old grips off though!! stupid custom bar ends!!!)
Just take a Stanley to them... they'll most likely break or split any way so you won't be able to use them again!

Quote:
but I was thinking about trying to run them through a relay so if she leaves the switch on she won't drain he battery. Any ideas how I should go about it?
You connect them in the same manner as the Autocom system!

Quote:
I thought is I take a feed off the lights then once she turns them one that will trip the relay and allow the power to flow, no? as you may have guessed I'm a bit more vague on this point
You shouldn't need to use a relay as both the grips & the lights are the same voltage.
Simply attach the -ve cable to the battery & the +ve to a switched feed then as soon as the ignition is turned on, the grips will be 'live' and you cannot leave them on!

HTH