SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-09, 07:57 PM   #1
sauluk

Default Running lean / rich

Pulling off quickly at lights I get pretty little juice and it almost feels like the clutch is slipping (it could be?) and when I open the throttle quickly occasionally (like twice probably) the revs drop off as it's too rich.

Is it worth getting the bike rejetted? I'm thinking of getting a pipercross induction kit from JHS and think this would exacerbate my issues.

(how much does rejetting cost?)
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 08:14 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Running lean / rich

For a pointy you'd need to fit some carbs before you could rejet

Depends where you go, Beowulf near me charge £35/hr for tuning on a dynapro dyno.

TBH it sounds like you've got other problems though.
Old 14-05-09, 08:29 PM   #3
sauluk

Quite obviously don't know what I'm talking about . I think I mean fuelling although I think the prior issue could be the clutch or my riding and the second only happened twice when I snapped the throttle open quite quickly.

You're a little bit far from me but I'll see how much JHS charge.

I could be making issues from nothing, I just want to spend about £100 on the bike to stop me buying a new one. I love the SV but want a bit more from it
Old 15-05-09, 02:22 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

I'm not sure you have a problem as such, to be honest sounds like just the crude nature of the pointy injection system, if however you feel the clutch is causing a problem Anna posted a useful guide to checking the adjustment here.

As to performance gains, what are you after ? if just a little more acceleraton then perhaps a change in sprocket size would do as a cheap option, failing that a full system, filter and remap is really the only way, but that'll cost more than the £100 you've allocated.

HTH

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-09, 08:37 AM   #5
sauluk

Might go for the filter and remap, already got a slip on not really wanting a full system. Can you map the stock ecu?
Old 15-05-09, 08:42 AM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post
Pulling off quickly at lights I get pretty little juice and it almost feels like the clutch is slipping (it could be?) and when I open the throttle quickly occasionally (like twice probably) the revs drop off as it's too rich.
I get that feeling. like a tremmering from the back end?
Old 15-05-09, 09:52 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Might go for the filter and remap, already got a slip on not really wanting a full system. Can you map the stock ecu?
You not really getting this are you, whilst it's possible to a remap (and yes you can get the original ECU done)the only real gains will be the two minor dips in power for emissions and rideby noise they had t put in, although FI has a dymamic range built in the stock headers will be the restricting factor and with those still fitted the only reason to change the air filter would be a maintinance one (something like a K&N) to save changing it .

you may get a little more out of the engine this way, but it's more likely to just smooth what you already have, so don't expect to much.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 15-05-09, 10:10 AM   #8
sauluk

By filter I meant induction kit, getting rid of the stock airbox. Have just heard that they can mess up the fuelling which is why I thought it'd benefit from a remap?
Old 15-05-09, 10:15 AM   #9
lee67

crude on a pointy?????...ive just bought my first sv650(k4)..after 25 yrs of bikes from 50c to 1200cc...and i can honestly say its the best bike ive rode, only done 500+ miles so far this week but its ace..
Old 15-05-09, 10:19 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
By filter I meant induction kit, getting rid of the stock airbox. Have just heard that they can mess up the fuelling which is why I thought it'd benefit from a remap?
they can and do, but it's pointless fitting the kit with the restrictive header on, let me put it this way; more air (from the fitted kit) + more petrol ( from a remap) BUT the same sized exhaust hole = greater back pressure, so no real improvement.

On the other hand; more air+ more petrol+ more exhaust hole (full system) = more power.....

the above is simplified of course, but it has to be balanced or you're either wasting money or screwing up the bikes running.

Cheers Mark.