SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-08, 10:30 AM   #1
Mikeormark

Default Info needed

Hi

I know i may be posting in the wrong forum but if you guys could help me thatd be great.
Im gonna be investing in a 08 sv650s and i was just wondering what the ride quality is like at its top end seeing as though the suspension is fairly budget and the sv650s doesnt come with a steering damper unlike most new I-4s. Is it prone to shaking its head??....Are there ways to alleviate this.

thx in advance
Old 11-09-08, 10:34 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Info needed

How much time you planning on spending at the top end then? But no you don't need a steering damp, its not really a bike for racing about at 100+ speeds.
Old 11-09-08, 10:40 AM   #3
Dappa D

test ride??.....

and welcome
Old 11-09-08, 10:59 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

It doesnt need a damper. I never had a slapper, I had it shake its head but only because I provoked into doing so over a lump on a road with a really bad surface on it when I was ragging the nuts off it.

Alot of the more sports focused IL4's have them because the steering geometery of a bike like my GSXR is different and its more prone to shaking its head.

If you're that worried about it, if you sort out the cause of the shakes, i.e IMHO the undersprung front end it wont do it anyway. Alternatively if you're that worried about it fit an aftermarket damper or retro fit a GSXR front end that does have a damper on it.

I wouldnt let something like this put me of buying an SV though...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 11:09 AM   #5
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

hiya mate & welcome to the org,

as above, the steering geometry on the Inline 4 sports bikes is more focused & their power is at the top end. With the sv being a v-twin engine layout, the torque is lower down the rev range at about 7 thousand revs & it really pulls. As a result you never really get any wobble up front (apart from going over the mountain at cadwell when the front lifts, and even then it only wobbled a tiny bit - see my avatar )

I'll be looking at getting some stiffer springs & some thicker oil in my forks since I'm a big guy & I'm putting some new sinterred EBC brake pads & HEL braided lines on the front brakes. More braking power = suspension diving more. I figured if I stiffen the front up a bit it should feel better but it's far from shocking ride quality.

As for the rear shock, I'm going to look at a nitron shock since the standard one is ok but as you learn to ride more, you can tell where the bike could be improved slightly.

I'd totally recommend the sv - wouldn't want to be "just another il4 rider" :P tonnes of character and totally chuckable in corners

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 11:22 AM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Be realistic about what you want the bike for. It's stable, plenty fast enough in the real world, and a decent bike to learn on, as well as rewarding faster riders with some add ons.

If you want it to slay GSXRs that cost twice the price while being an insurance group 11 bike, that's going to have to come from the SV rider being more skilled than the GSXR pilot. Unsurprisingly the race rep GSXR has higher quality suspension, sharper brakes and more power. The clue's in the price and insurance group.

Jambo
Old 11-09-08, 11:23 AM   #7
Alpinestarhero

The suspension is adequate; it does the job its ment to...although it does benefit from a shock change and stiffer springs (or more!)

I have had one nasty wobble at about 100 mph on the motorway....but that was induced by 1) a heavy topbox and 2) some sort of rut But the bike quickly calmed down...you dont need a steering damper on an SV, its a pretty lazy handling bike compared to e.g. GSXR's

Don't bother thinking about chasing higher power either, unless you got lotsa money / time...80 bhp is dooable fairly easy, but after that it gets complicated and expensive (unless you have really really nice generous freinds)

Fit a louder exhaust. It will give you a grin 100 miles wide
Old 11-09-08, 05:11 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

As with all motorcycles only a test ride will see if the SV suits you, your needs, and riding style.
Old 11-09-08, 06:27 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The SV is a very stable bike, and very forgiving of silly mistakes. I've had the odd very slight wobble, under normal circumstances and perhaps rider error....and I've managed to get a good tank slapper too, but only after a deer jumped on my front end...even then it really tried its hardest to stay upright and succeeded.

They really 100% reliable in the handling IMO
SVs are aimed at new riders and experienced alike...its that good

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote