SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-07, 10:56 PM   #1
glade

Default Trading up

What are your guys opinions on trading up to an older higher milage bike??

I got my SV new on a 56 plate. Its done bang on 11k had has got FSH.

Thing is I have lost about £3k in depreciation... OK that money's gone now so maybe i should just get over it... but i sort of think i should hang onto the bike to get my moneys worth, (and i do love the SV).

For the part-ex money and the little extra i'm prepared to put towards it, I'm looking at a an older (2003 - 2004) 30k FZS Fazer 1000.

I've got too much time to think about it really hence this post... but I don't want to regret chopping in the SV!

(someone tell me to stop being stupid and get the bigger bike!!)
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 11:15 PM   #2
Sean_C

Default Re: Trading up

Stop being stupid and don't get the bigger bike.
Get the fastest SV, curvy blue
Old 26-12-07, 11:19 PM   #3
glade

An alternative that I hadn't considered...

Nah pointy CLEARLY looks better
Old 26-12-07, 11:34 PM   #4
Sean_C

Heheh

Well, any bike you get, you will lose money on, so, err, follow your heart?
Old 26-12-07, 11:36 PM   #5
neio79

you would have not lost 3K depriciation!!!! if you are that interested go to dealers and have a look what you will get PX on different bikes. GW gave me a good deal PX against my new bike.
Old 27-12-07, 12:03 AM   #6
mr.anderson

I was having a chat with a very knowledgeable gentleman again today who has ensured me that the average bike (SV included) is far more capable than any rider will ever demand of a bike on the road. (This gentleman has 25+ years riding experience and will put to shame most people who challenge him in riding skill, technical knowledge, miles done, and more). At the same time, I have just bought a ZX6R which I am very aware is beyond my capabilites, but which I enjoy for different reasons.I am of the opinion, in my limited experience, that as long as you are happy that you have the self control not to chuck yourself off the back of the bike and will find the performance (also in terms of build quality, etc) increase something that you appreciate in the bike then go for it.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-07, 09:05 AM   #7
arenalife

There's no way you've lost 3k, maybe 1 - 1.5 depending on how you've kept it.
Old 27-12-07, 09:25 AM   #8
Bear

Agreed. My k5 had lost 3 grand, but it had 25k on the clock, had mostly been home serviced and had been down the road 4 times in the time I had it! Speak to other dealers before parting with your bike and some hard earned!

I traded up to an older lower mileage bike, but I've had problems with it not running right. You need to ask yourself if you want/ need another bike enough to justify the expense, and only you can make that decision...

Last edited by Bear; 27-12-07 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot about servicing!
Old 29-12-07, 10:13 PM   #9
glade

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
you would have not lost 3K depriciation!!!! if you are that interested go to dealers and have a look what you will get PX on different bikes. GW gave me a good deal PX against my new bike.
GW offered me £2500 for it not long ago. It's lost a lot!
Old 29-12-07, 10:24 PM   #10
glade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Agreed. My k5 had lost 3 grand, but it had 25k on the clock, had mostly been home serviced and had been down the road 4 times in the time I had it! Speak to other dealers before parting with your bike and some hard earned!

I traded up to an older lower mileage bike, but I've had problems with it not running right. You need to ask yourself if you want/ need another bike enough to justify the expense, and only you can make that decision...
Thats interesting... I'll have to go round a few dealerships. Sounds like they're a bit low. Bike is generally spotless apart from scratch on swing arm and a scuff on fairing! (its even got a spotless downpipe!)

I wish you hadn't said your 'new' older bike had problems, get it fixed easily? Under warranty?