SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-08-08, 12:11 AM   #1
dirtsk8

Default Would I regret trading my S for a N?

I've been toying with the idea of offering my SVS up for a trade for a naked SV650.

I'm not that intersted in going fast these days, but I never had a proper naked bike before. Are they murder to keep clean and fresh looking?

Is the fuel consumption more on a naked? Can you take an N to a track day?

Would I regret it?

Would you?
Old 11-08-08, 12:41 AM   #2
chakraist

Default Re: Would I regret trading my S for a N?

I've also been considering either doing something jazzy with the paint or taking the fairings off- I like the setup northwind has with his bike when he takes it to the track.

Plus a naked with clipons looks really sweet.
Old 11-08-08, 03:06 AM   #3
Grinch

Depends on what you looking for thats making you go naked. Is it just the look or the ride setup your looking to change?
Old 11-08-08, 06:53 AM   #4
dirtsk8

I think it's a mid-life crisis!

I've done all the knee-down stuff in the past. I got 9 points in 9 months on the SP-1

When I got back into biking recently after a lay-off for some months, it was naked Bandits I was looking at with a view to just riding calmly and doing a bit of sight-seeing for a change, rather than laying along the tank of some race rep.

But I bought the Curvy instead. Recently, I've been back to my old knee down tricks and stupid overtaking and I've only had the bike 3 weeks! I just wondered if I'd stuck to my original return-to-biking plan and bought a naked beast, I might be able to keep out of trouble. Does that make sense?
Old 11-08-08, 07:00 AM   #5
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsk8 View Post
Does that make sense?
Not really.

Surely the bike is going to be identical to ride, bar a bit of wind. And when your riding it you wont know what it looks like, so wouldn't alter your riding style.

You can ride anything like an ****.
Old 11-08-08, 11:26 AM   #6
custard

will only regret it if you dont get the Sv1000N

can do all the stuff that you can with a faired. sustained high speed can be hard work though.

TBH i prefer it. had a hornet, traded for CBR600f, got another hornet. the seating positions on Nakeds are more upright and the bars are wider. this means that you can throw them about more!
also think they are more exhilarating because you can feel the wind balst and arent cocooned behind plastic. On the downside you are exposed to more of the weather!
Old 11-08-08, 03:01 PM   #7
dirtsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Not really.

Surely the bike is going to be identical to ride, bar a bit of wind. And when your riding it you wont know what it looks like, so wouldn't alter your riding style.

You can ride anything like an ****.
I thought this might happen. Recently, when I thought about getting another bike, my wife's first reaction was Oh no! here we go again - penalty points, speeding fines and another ban under the totting-up procedure. She was dead against it. I tried to reassure her that my frame of mind was all changed this time. I managed to convince her that I'd buy a naked bike, go touring (well, to the seaside ) all at sensible speeds. I'd buy a naked Bandit - heck, I'd even buy new leathers without knee-sliders.

That was until I spotted the SVS in my local bike shop. My new leathers have the sliders too, and I'm all talking about knee down stuff and track days once more and my wife's expecting the penalty points through the door any day now So she says.

I was just wondering, if the more upright riding position and lack of plastic might take away some of the boy racer urges, I guess. But I suppose anyone can be an a$s on any bike.
Old 11-08-08, 03:04 PM   #8
Grinch

Quote:
I've done all the knee-down stuff in the past. I got 9 points in 9 months on the SP-1
Changing the bike won't sort that, you need to talk to yourself.... I managed 9 points in one week.... 99.1 2-up peak speed 110, gave me 4 points and £300 in fines.
Following week, 97.5, no peak speed mentioned, still 2-up, gave me 5 points and £500 in fines.

I slowed down a tad after that.
Old 11-08-08, 03:09 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
I was just wondering, if the more upright riding position and lack of plastic might take away some of the boy racer urges, I guess. But I suppose anyone can be an a$s on any bike.
Yep.

A Naked bike might slow your straight line speed, but it isnt going to stop you getting your knee down through twisties.

I think you need to look at what you want a bike for and how you are riding it and maybe have a think about getting a cheapo track bike and getting it out of your system on the track ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 03:19 PM   #10
custard

the pain in your neck should slow you down.