SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-09, 10:24 PM   #1
hovis

Default fitting new spark plugs?

i have just fitted new plugs, but was told i should have checked the gap........ its the first i have heard about this, ive never done it before,

so how important is it?
Old 02-06-09, 10:26 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: fitting new spark plugs?

Some people still do it but generealy NGK dont recomend checking the gap as they say that all plugs are pre-gapped

If you are installing the multi electrode type plugs that many modern hondas use then i think you are not ment to try with thoes at all
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:29 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Not all engines use the same gap - thus I would never fit a plug without checking it.

Most multi electrode plugs can't be gapped, so must be fitted as supplied, but it's worth checking that the gaps are correct when new - they're not always.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:32 PM   #4
madness

New spark plugs usually have the gap pre-set, but that doesn't mean the gap is right for your bike, the manual should tell you the plug gap. If the gap is to big you might get a weaker spark that won't burn the fuel as well.
Old 02-06-09, 10:33 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

I check the gap on every new/used plug before I fit it, but for new plugs for the SV or any other engine that uses the same gap, I've very rarely needed to adjust a new plug. Don't fuss, an do it next time you have them out.

Jambo
Old 02-06-09, 10:35 PM   #6
Eeyore

As above, if it works leave it alone.
Old 03-06-09, 01:51 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Do you think your local Suzuki dealer bothers to check the gap? Thats the kind of thing that home mechanics do, who give a sh!t about their bikes and have the time to spend doing things properly. I bet my 18000 mile full Suzuki service history bike has never had a plug gap checked. I know for a fact they've never bothered to check the clutch adjustment as I did it myself for the first time last week.

Also did the wife's car last week. Seat say in the manual it's supposed to have fully synthetic VW50x specifiaction oil, so I check the service receipts and the Seat main dealer has used a cheap semi-synthetic for the last 6 years since the car was new. It now for the first time since it left the factory it has the correct oil in it and I paid less than the dealer was charging for the inferior oil.

Call me cynical but anyone getting paid by the hour to service somebody elses bike just whacks the plugs in and rolls it back out the workshop door.

If the bikes running nicely, stop worrying about it.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 03-06-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 02:33 PM   #8
Holdup

Did you get them from a honda dealership with honda written on the spark plug box?
If so they are meant to be pre gapped
Old 03-06-09, 02:37 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I check the gap on every new/used plug before I fit it, but for new plugs for the SV or any other engine that uses the same gap, I've very rarely needed to adjust a new plug. Don't fuss, an do it next time you have them out.

Jambo
+1. Get a proper adjuster tool too. They're convenient and cheap. Don't just bend it about with a pair of pliers.