SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-09, 08:52 AM   #1
Ed

Default Mileage musings

When I was thinking about selling up, the dealer who was buying it said that my bike was worth less than I thought because a bike of its age should have done no more than 4,500 miles. It was registered new on March 1, 2008, so is 16.5 months old. It has now done 5,718 miles.

I was shocked at this, so I'm supposed to limit mileage to 3,500 a year to maintain the bike's value.

Have had a good think about this. I don't know anyone who does such low mileage. Some things you just can't put a price on, and I am not going to sit there with an Excel spreadsheet to impose limits on how far I ride and calculating the cost every time I do so.
Old 12-07-09, 08:58 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Mileage musings

thats madness....... whats the point in spending all that money, then only doing 3,500 a year

i do about 12,000 fun miles a year, (no cummuting)
Old 12-07-09, 09:00 AM   #3
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
When I was thinking about selling up, the dealer who was buying it said that my bike was worth less than I thought because a bike of its age should have done no more than 4,500 miles. It was registered new on March 1, 2008, so is 16.5 months old. It has now done 5,718 miles.

I was shocked at this, so I'm supposed to limit mileage to 3,500 a year to maintain the bike's value.

Have had a good think about this. I don't know anyone who does such low mileage. Some things you just can't put a price on, and I am not going to sit there with an Excel spreadsheet to impose limits on how far I ride and calculating the cost every time I do so.

Guess they must just average out the two extremes. People who actually ride their bikes and people who leaves theirs in the garage near enough every day!

My bike has done nigh on 5k since it was registered on 26th Sept 2008...my bike will be worthless by the time I get rid then!
Old 12-07-09, 09:02 AM   #4
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
my bike will be worthless by the time I get rid then!
thats cos its a pointy
Old 12-07-09, 09:29 AM   #5
Graciepants

my bike had done 11000 miles when i got it, and the last owner had it for 5 years and had done 6000 miles on it even me, miss crapola of the bike world, has done more 3000 miles since april. some people just dont ride their bikes

i do feel bad that my bike is depreciating more and more the more miles i do, but oh well, i didnt buy it to be a garden ornament.
Old 12-07-09, 09:49 AM   #6
christopher

My bike was 3 years old when I purchased it... and had less than 3000 miles on the clock!

I'm now putting on about 800 miles a month using it purely for fun.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:33 AM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

I think it depends on the bike as well, looking at KTM adventures now 4500 miles in a year is considered exceptionally low mileage

A Daytona 675 though? I can see some people leaving it in the garage and not using it but mine was on course for 6000 miles a year with no commuting
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:35 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

lol!!! if i did 3,500 miles per year, then I'd only be riding for 4 months of the year
Old 12-07-09, 10:54 AM   #9
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

In the past year I've probably done maybe 1000 miles between the SV and the RS. But with a new baby, access to my 6yr old which is every other weekend, a fairly new business to run and bikes to fix it's difficult to find time to ride.

I no longer commute, i was doing about 12k a year then. So yes my bike spends a lot of the time in the garage so i'm obviously not one of these people that "actually rides their bike" then?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go at people but it really gets my goat when people start moaning about others because they don't ride at every given opportunity, I have a family and they come above getting out on the bike and before anyone says it yes I would now be classed as "a fair weather rider" as I get no enjoyment out of the riding in the rain etc. I did that for years when commuting thanks

Doing millions of miles a year doesn't make you any better than someone like me that only (normally) does 3k a year

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-07-09 at 10:56 AM.
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:58 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

DD- each to their own. But it does kinda raise the issue that a bike's value is dependant on its milage (obviously) and the acceptable milage is determined by the average milage of everyone, not the individual.

Personally, I don't care how often people ride their bikes...just so long as they are a good, courtious rider when they do. What grinds my gears is the people who go out not-very-often but when they do, treat the world like their personal racetrack (well, this is also true for some people who ride every day aswell). My dad and his mates don't ride too often, but when they do they are good ROAD riders. Thats all that matters