SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-10-14, 10:41 AM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: any Audi A3 owners on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
What Luckypants said. We went for the Fabia diesel as we didn't need a big car. If you do look at diesels try and get the older 1.9td rather than the new 1.6 version. We bought a 10 plate 1.6 but had no end of issues with the DPF and the way it made it drive, in the end we swopped it for an 09 plate 1.9 and it is miles better (both metaphorically and literally, like we get 60+ mpg now against under 50 from the 1.6)
Your the second person that I know of that happening to. The one was 50 miles on the clock and it fell apart.

Depends on the budget. But I'd go for the equivalent Skoda or Seat as the spec is a lot better and cheaper. Old man went for the Seat Leon on a 63 plate as the same age golf with double the miles was about £3k more

Talking new (I know this through contractors and a friend ). The top spec Skoda Octavia diesel (non VRS or 4x4) is the same price as a low spec Golf estate and base spec A3 sporthatch

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-14, 05:10 PM   #12
kiggles

okay so I am definitely going to get a 1.9 or a 2.0 diesel. but what milage is too much? i dont particularly want to spend more then £4000 and more realisitcally more around £2500 - £3500 at the low end.

would buying a £2500 diesel with 190,000 miles on the clock bad idea? Audi A3 2.0 FDI sport 2005 model 5 door version. I not a driving person just be nice to have a nicer interior/ exterior then a 2000 reg punto mk1. After all for £4000 i might as well go buy a 2008 honda fireblade with 4000 miles on the clock!!!!!!

I want to minimise my loss in value in the car but still get probably a good 30-40 miles out of it. I plan to replace the following service parts:

- brakes pads and discs
- oils and filters
- and if its bad the clutch and any bearings that are easy to get to that might cause issues. but like i said i plan to keep the car 3 years and spending double the money on the same car for a lower millage seems a bit stupid

Last edited by kiggles; 13-10-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 13-10-14, 07:20 PM   #13
Essex of Essex

I had a 5 door and now run a cabriolet, both with the 2.0 diesel, they drive well and give excellent fuel consumption I like them a great deal.
Old 14-10-14, 06:46 AM   #14
cb1000rsteve

IMO audis etc aren't worth the extra money. A few blokes in work have them and although they look nice on the out side inside they are basically a ford popular spec!!! My focus ghia has better spec and cost a 10th of the price of there's (there's are 09 and 10 plates). the new family car zafira tourer is fully loaded with every extra and cost £14k. You couldn't buy a basic german people carrier on the same year with base spec never mind all the extras comforts!!
Car sales teams have pulled a blinder and have brain washed everyone into thinking a certain type car gives you status, respect etc etc. To me they just say they decided to take a bigger loan out
Old 14-10-14, 09:33 AM   #15
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
okay so I am definitely going to get a 1.9 or a 2.0 diesel. but what milage is too much? i dont particularly want to spend more then £4000 and more realisitcally more around £2500 - £3500 at the low end.

would buying a £2500 diesel with 190,000 miles on the clock bad idea? Audi A3 2.0 FDI sport 2005 model 5 door version. I not a driving person just be nice to have a nicer interior/ exterior then a 2000 reg punto mk1. After all for £4000 i might as well go buy a 2008 honda fireblade with 4000 miles on the clock!!!!!!

I want to minimise my loss in value in the car but still get probably a good 30-40 miles out of it. I plan to replace the following service parts:

- brakes pads and discs
- oils and filters
- and if its bad the clutch and any bearings that are easy to get to that might cause issues. but like i said i plan to keep the car 3 years and spending double the money on the same car for a lower millage seems a bit stupid
Bad idea. Firstly, steer clear of the 2 litre diesel, the 1.9pd unit is far better when it comes to reliability. I would be worried at 190k, your looking at knackered fuel injectors, diesel pumps, dual mass flywheel. Any one of that lot and you could be looking at near four figure bill to put right.
Being an Audi, the electrics will not be all they are cracked up to be.
Seriously, look at a seat Leon 1.9diesel if you really must go VAG and diesel.
The second generation Leon used exactly the same dashboard as first gen a3, you will get a lot more spec, newer, less miles than you will for the same money, and it is for all intents and purposes the same car albeit with a different body shell.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-14, 10:00 AM   #16
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rsteve View Post
IMO audis etc aren't worth the extra money. A few blokes in work have them and although they look nice on the out side inside they are basically a ford popular spec!!! My focus ghia has better spec and cost a 10th of the price of there's (there's are 09 and 10 plates). the new family car zafira tourer is fully loaded with every extra and cost £14k. You couldn't buy a basic german people carrier on the same year with base spec never mind all the extras comforts!!
Car sales teams have pulled a blinder and have brain washed everyone into thinking a certain type car gives you status, respect etc etc. To me they just say they decided to take a bigger loan out
Totally agree with that, although I now own an Audi it's reletavily well specced and a proper sports car (even though it has a Golf chassis)

Before that I owned a 2006 BMW 3 Series, that had a worse spec than the 2000 Peugeot 306 D-Turbo I owned a few years before it. It wasn't even that nice to drive.

Japanese cars are the way forward, they have very little in the way of options.
Old 14-10-14, 11:59 AM   #17
Heorot

What length are your journeys going to be? Diesels use more fuel when cold because of increased friction inside the engine. Short trips are also bad for economy because of start/stops. Those are really bad for economy.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-14, 12:12 PM   #18
Heorot

I agree with L3nny. Japanese all the way. I bought my first Jap car, a Nissan Silvia in 1987. It never went wrong. Since then I have had a further 3, two Nissan 200SX's and currently a '98 Subaru Impreza Turbo bought new in 1998. Nothing went wrong with any of them apart from needing a replacement starter motor on the Subaru when it was 15 years old. All these cars are, or were, high performance for their time.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 15-10-14, 07:45 AM   #19
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I agree with L3nny. Japanese all the way. I bought my first Jap car, a Nissan Silvia in 1987. It never went wrong. Since then I have had a further 3, two Nissan 200SX's and currently a '98 Subaru Impreza Turbo bought new in 1998. Nothing went wrong with any of them apart from needing a replacement starter motor on the Subaru when it was 15 years old. All these cars are, or were, high performance for their time.
Agreed, we've had our '03 impreza wrx for seven years and are loathe to get rid of it. Only needed a new rad and top hose in that time (touch wood!). . . Oh and a new battery.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 04:34 PM   #20
Heorot

The problem with owning an Impreza is that anything else for the money is second best for day to day driving. That's why I still have mine and its 16 years old.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver