SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Would you wear a flip front helmet?
Yes I'd feel safe in a flip front. 24 63.16%
No, Full face only. 13 34.21%
I'd wear an open face, no problem. 0 0%
keithd 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-14, 11:23 AM   #11
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: Would you wear a flip front helmet?

+1 TassieDevil

Got my Duke last week, its snug, comfortable and a hell of a lot quieter than the last 4 full face lids I have owned.

Best thing about it is pinlock and it doesnt look like a flip face
Old 09-12-14, 02:10 PM   #12
embee
Mega Poster

I have a Shoei Qwest and a Neotec. I got the Neotec after many years of resisting temptation regarding flip-fronts much for the reasons expressed by others.

Having now worn the flippy for a couple of European touring holidays I wouldn't use anything else there. I still use the Qwest for fun rides out or just going on a fixed ride to somewhere, but for touring the flippy just has so many practical benefits it outweighs any downsides.

The Neotec is slightly heavier than the Qwest but it's not an issue, similarly it isn't really any noisier, the bigger difference coming from which bike I'm on (screens etc). The internal sunvisor is worth its weight in gold, the ventilation in the Neotec is excellent (fine in 30C) and much better than the Qwest, and the practicality at Passport/fuel stations etc or just being able to flip it up at traffic lights is brilliant.

I don't know how it would stand up in an off, just hope the tests are right. You do have to make sure it is latched properly, if anything this is the least good feature of the Neotec, it's not a nice positive clunk, you have to check it's latched fully by trying to lift it. That could be better, but otherwise very nice.
Old 09-12-14, 06:02 PM   #13
Nutsinatin

I've only ever worn full face, have been tempted by a flip front for convenience, especially when I'm going lots of places in one day so keep having to take my helmet off and put it back on again. Personally I would only use one that was tested to have a successful locking mechanism and I would only ride with it down, flipping it up when I was off the bike.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:19 PM   #14
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
Yes, i would and i do.

The reason i chose the caberg duke was because it's 5 star sharp rated, and generally reviewed as one of the best flip helmets around. I did a lot of research before coming to that decision, and i haven't regretted it.

It's a very good compromise, and a hell of a lot lighter than my last flip face helmet. Very quiet too, and quieter (and lighter) than some full face helmets i have used. On the whole, i am very very happy and would buy the same again.

Sharp impact protection tests rate it 5 star across the board. That's good enough for me.
As above
Also you seem to get a more friendly reaction from some folk when they can see your face.
Old 09-12-14, 07:20 PM   #15
CharleyFarley

Default Would you wear a flip front helmet?

agree 100% with atassiedevil & Corny Gizmo, the Duke is (fa me) light, comfy, draft proof, and I feel safe/secure riding in it!!! Feel 'uneasy' with it 'open' over 30mph tho........

"Gas it w###a".........
Old 09-12-14, 09:09 PM   #16
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

I wear a shoei syncrotec when I ride now after the lining on my xr1000 disintegrated, don't feel any less safe in it at all, had a syncrotec when I was doing some courier work as well made it much easier as I didn't have to keep taking it off as I was delivering/collecting from banks
Old 09-12-14, 10:00 PM   #17
Essex of Essex

I've worn them for years, as a wearer of glasses they make life much easier and the sun visor is very useful.
Old 09-12-14, 10:42 PM   #18
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I use a mat black Shoei Neotech flip front and I love that thing. It is not rated for use with the face open, but if I wanted that I would use my old ****pot (which sadly it makes me look like one of the village people!) anyway.

Noise is low even at motorway speed, comfort is fabulous (I swear that I could sleep in the thing) and we have put bike to bike radios in both of ours. Yes, the Wife uses one too.

I asked her if she would recommend one and she said yes, although at close to five hundred quid, she wishes that they were cheaper.

So that is two votes from us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 10:55 PM   #19
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Make that 3, I have a white neotec. The clasp is solid and yes it may not protect as well as my xr1100 but will be better than the cheaper end of full faces.

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 11:46 PM   #20
Specialone

I've got one, I bought me and the wife one when Amazon were selling off the bell lids.
They are brilliant for touring and when you have a pillion, the internal sun visor is good too.
I do find it more noisy than my arai chaser full face but I can live with it.