SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-19, 08:58 AM   #1
pharris79

Default Quick Shift

Hi all, currently out on the South of France on 2 bikes MV Augusta kindly loaned us, amazing!

Anyway, one feature of these are the quick shift gearbox and I think I’ve fallen in love with it. Is such a thing available for the SV650 2016? It’s not essential but it is nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 09:25 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quick Shift

You lucky get, I'm GREEN with envy.

Power Commander and others do aftermarket quickshifters.

On a personal note, I love the front end and the pipes on the Dragster. But I cannot stand the current vogue for tail-less bikes. To my eyes, it's fugly.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 09:27 AM   #3
pharris79

They look great! But not so comfy to ride after a long day but then I guess not many are! I’m still loyal to the 650 though..... love my machine!

Aftermarket would be good I think.....has anybody done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 11:39 AM   #4
Chris_SVS

Healtech QS
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 12:06 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Mate of mine fitted one years ago, can't remember the model. You replaced the shift rod in the external linkage (left foot) with a new one that incorporates a switch. When you shift up, it cuts the ignition for a short, adjustable amount of time. I don't know about the MV but some bikes with factory ones also have an auto-blipper for downshifts, but you can do that yourself! That would be near impossible to add in unless Power Commander etc. do it as part of the ECU box.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 02:31 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
some bikes with factory ones also have an auto-blipper for downshifts, but you can do that yourself! That would be near impossible to add in unless Power Commander etc. do it as part of the ECU box.
Very possible but highly expensive In excess of £500 when I looked so I settled for the upshift only (I can downshift if I want but don't)
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-19, 03:24 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The gearchange on a bike is still 10x quicker than a car it is one of the things I notice when I swap the cage for the SV, if you roll off the throttle slightly you can do clutchless up changes anyway as the SV box is constant mesh ( which means all gears are in mesh all the time and you just shift some dog clutches around with gear lever ) and I kinda like blipping the throttle on downshift.

http://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com/arti...-why-it-works/

Constant mesh means you don't break gear teeth as the rugged dog clutches take all the punishment. Car boxes are generally synchromesh which means only one set of gears engaged at a time and you have synchro cones to match the speed of gears when you change gear.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-05-19 at 03:40 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-19, 10:11 PM   #8
Scittyf

Never really understood quick shifters on bikes myself. As you say pin throttle back and preloaded next gear and as soon as you drop off the throttle you are in the next gear up.

Down shifting I never need to do it so quickly and without the clutch anyway. Rather it was smooth on the down shift to stop in balances personally.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 07:52 AM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The gearbox and Clutch on my 99 are so smooth it's almost like having an,"Automatic" gearbox anyway
Old 25-05-19, 07:54 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
Never really understood quick shifters on bikes myself. As you say pin throttle back and preloaded next gear and as soon as you drop off the throttle you are in the next gear up.

Down shifting I never need to do it so quickly and without the clutch anyway. Rather it was smooth on the down shift to stop in balances personally.
Quick shifters are OK for the racing boys where every fraction of a second counts, but on the road ? just another thing to go wrong.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote