SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-19, 04:23 PM   #7421
Heorot

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Not only has some roadworks popped up on my route to work but the temporary traffic lights were on the blink. Oh the queues....! That means I'll have to set off early in the morning and skipping breakfast so I can brave the Oxford ring road before it becomes a gridlocked hell.
That's what bikes are for.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 01:22 AM   #7422
BanannaMan

New phone day.
Used to be a joy, something I was looking forward to but now just a PIA.
Nothing wrong with my old phone (galaxy S7) still works as good as when I got it, including battery life but it's 3 years old (gee already) and have to take the upgrade deal or pay much more later when it dies.
So....I'll be resetting passwords and such for days...

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 04-07-19 at 02:10 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 09:30 AM   #7423
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its saved the public billions in taxpayers money.

the assessment also involves a small physical but in your wife's case i would hazard a guess the assessor must have deemed it not necessary. the questions are a sort of "test" to see if your lying on what you put down on the form as most people go to their local CAB office or get a friend to fill it in so come interview time they cant remember what they had filled in on the form. the face to face is also to stop people using doppelgänger's as such.

its got a lot of "chancers" off the claim for which the public dont have to pay them.

i recently got awarded PIP due to my health. so i would say your wife has nothing to worry about.

think of it this way, by doing what the government have done it has created jobs (clerical staff for the whole process) for those that want to work and made it harder for those that dont. the money the public have saved goes to the workers/companies doing the assessments so technically there is no saving but each member of staff or company still has to pay "tax" so the government get a portion of it all back and round and round it goes keeping people employed.
Before PIP etc. My wife, a nurse was on sick leave due to an auto immune liver disease, when she discovered she had breast cancer requiring mastectomy, chemo and radio therapy. As a consequence her NHS sickness entitlement was exhausted and she had to claim sickness benefit. At the same time due to the effects of the chemo she claimed some other benefit (I cannot remember what). What I do remember the forms were horrific, the same questions asked in half a dozen different ways. She was then invited to attend an assessment at the local DSS office and the next day got a second letter to say no need, and her application had been approved. So I obviously filled the form in correctly.

But what then came as a shock, was a requirement to attend the local job centre (6 miles away) for a fortnightly back to work interview, told a failure to attend will result in not receiving her sick pay. I went with her.

The lady she met with could not have been nicer, she suffered from MS and was wheelchair bound. She had been a high flying HR exec somewhere and had to give up the stress once she had become ill.

She understood, my wife had a job, but was too ill to work and that we were caught up in the system that was trying to get people off sick and into work. she explained that for years to get jobless figures down the system had been encouraging the long term unemployed to get greater benefits by claiming sickness instead.

Twice though we got phone calls don't bother coming for your interview as she is herself taking sick leave.

As I said, nice lady. when my wife felt ready to go back, she was told. But you cannot go yet. You need a new coat and shoes and issued shop vouchers and you get a transition allowance of £100/month for 6 months to help you back into work.

I think the job centre used her to pass on the message that even with MS, she wanted to work and reasonable employers should make allowances for staff with health problems. Unlike the NHS who put them through the disciplinary procedure for being ill.

My overriding memory of those days, one interview was midway though a cycle of chemo and my wife had to run from the interview to the stinking toilets to vomit, worse on the way home she fouled herself. Too ill to work is not ill enough to miss a job centre interview!

Last edited by timwilky; 04-07-19 at 09:33 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 05:23 PM   #7424
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Before PIP etc. My wife, a nurse was on sick leave due to an auto immune liver disease, when she discovered she had breast cancer requiring mastectomy, chemo and radio therapy. As a consequence her NHS sickness entitlement was exhausted and she had to claim sickness benefit. At the same time due to the effects of the chemo she claimed some other benefit (I cannot remember what). What I do remember the forms were horrific, the same questions asked in half a dozen different ways. She was then invited to attend an assessment at the local DSS office and the next day got a second letter to say no need, and her application had been approved. So I obviously filled the form in correctly.

But what then came as a shock, was a requirement to attend the local job centre (6 miles away) for a fortnightly back to work interview, told a failure to attend will result in not receiving her sick pay. I went with her.

The lady she met with could not have been nicer, she suffered from MS and was wheelchair bound. She had been a high flying HR exec somewhere and had to give up the stress once she had become ill.

She understood, my wife had a job, but was too ill to work and that we were caught up in the system that was trying to get people off sick and into work. she explained that for years to get jobless figures down the system had been encouraging the long term unemployed to get greater benefits by claiming sickness instead.

Twice though we got phone calls don't bother coming for your interview as she is herself taking sick leave.

As I said, nice lady. when my wife felt ready to go back, she was told. But you cannot go yet. You need a new coat and shoes and issued shop vouchers and you get a transition allowance of £100/month for 6 months to help you back into work.

I think the job centre used her to pass on the message that even with MS, she wanted to work and reasonable employers should make allowances for staff with health problems. Unlike the NHS who put them through the disciplinary procedure for being ill.

My overriding memory of those days, one interview was midway though a cycle of chemo and my wife had to run from the interview to the stinking toilets to vomit, worse on the way home she fouled herself. Too ill to work is not ill enough to miss a job centre interview!
That's so sad. There's no empathy in the system.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-19, 08:26 AM   #7425
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not finding anywhere that even comes close to matching up with this forum for the equivalent Tracer related info and community. I've already attracted one person on the FB pages who (it took me a while to realise) was trolling me trying to wind me up. Why do people bother doing that? I can only assume they have no life at all.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 08:32 AM   #7426
Chris_SVS

^Thats very much true... Most groups have 10 posts about the same thing everyday. Usually screen, luggage, dont see the point of a quickshifter, remaps, aux power sockets, phone app better than a tomtom/garmin.

I was saying this to John at BPW, the forum is no longer relevant to me as Ive no SV, but the general chat and sense of community keeps me coming back. Been on a forum for every bike Ive owned and so far, the .org is the only one I still visit.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 10-07-19 at 08:35 AM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 09:17 AM   #7427
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Been on a forum for every bike Ive owned and so far, the .org is the only one I still visit.

and I thought this forum was slowly dying which I put down to the lack of popularity of the newer SV and people having moved on to bigger bikes. I'd be curious as to what percentage of members still have an SV as their principle bike.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 09:38 AM   #7428
Heorot

Well, me for one. I occasionally test ride other bikes but have never been tempted to change.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 10:13 AM   #7429
zsv650s

Still got my Sv1000 ain't letting it go till suzuki do a new one.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 11:22 AM   #7430
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I nearly picked up another one as a fixer upper for £450 the other day... unfortunately I don't have the £450 or the space to store and work on it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote