SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-09-19, 10:19 AM   #7641
Bike27

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Was it sold as working and rideable? If it was then it is "Not fit for purpose"
I'm not convinced the H1 was ever " fit for purpose" based on what the Used Motorcycle Guide used to say about them

On the plus side Seeker, it sounds like you have a very good arrangement with the supplier and with modern oils / tyres / spark plugs / CDI units I would have thought there is plenty of scope for an H1 in 2019 to be better than new.

Back in the 80's , the A5 sized "Used Motorcycle Guide" was my bible for navigating the used bike minefield.

In a pre- internet era when even jap bikes could be rather less bulletproof the UMG was an immense help in deciding what to spend my (then) generally meagre budget on.

Their assessment of the H1 making it crystal clear that ownership of said machine was not to be entered into lightly:

"Early versions had wild power and frightening handling. KH version still dubious but a little slower and safer. Clutch, main bearings, seals, CDI and spark plugs all wear out rapidly. Okay for the odd crazed outing but forget it for everyday use...........H1B has points and carbs that need setting every 300 miles.........engine rattles even when rebored (every 15000 miles)"

(Used Motorcycle Guide Sept/Oct 1992)

It's not for nothing that Kawa 500/750 triples have a fearsome reputation.

Stick with it, you've got my respect at least

Last edited by Bike27; 22-09-19 at 10:33 AM.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 06:21 PM   #7642
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I remember those UMG's. They said said to steer clear of the GSX250E after 30k miles but mine kept going to well over twice that without any engine issues. Won't go into the electrical ones...
Old 22-09-19, 06:29 PM   #7643
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

My gripe de jour is washing machines. Or more especially the way ours was plumbed in by the builders who added our extension 12 years ago. The machine is now over 25 years old and when the sockets tripped this morning for the second time I eventually worked out that the poor old thing was absolutely red hot to the touch on it's second load of the day, despite being set to 40 degrees. Seems the thermostat has gone south. So once it had cooled a bit I managed to extricate it from the recess only to find... no drain. Seems the builders simply hooked the flexi waste pipe directly to the trap spigot under the nearby sink via an extension flexi pipe routed under the cupboards. Will have to fit a better solution at a more suitable height as well as play Russian Roulette with a new machine. Bet it doesn't last 25 years like the old one!
Old 23-09-19, 06:56 AM   #7644
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Will have to fit a better solution at a more suitable height as well as play Russian Roulette with a new machine. Bet it doesn't last 25 years like the old one!
When my 4 year old Bosch required new drum bearings, I had a chat with the repair guy. He told me that if it not for the insurance paying for the bearing replacement, he would have recommended that I bought a new machine.
He said modern machines are not built to last because the customer refuses to pay the price that would entail hence the use of inferior materials. He went on to say the only machine that is still well made is a Miele and they are typically twice the price of a regular machine.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 06:22 PM   #7645
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Try three times! Several Miele's are are well over £1,400 as they're basically commercial machines packed a little differently. The Samsung one we plumped for is just over a third of that price.
Old 24-09-19, 05:17 PM   #7646
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Note for anyone doing a coolant change on a VFR. Do it at the same time as an oil change. I did my oil and filter change just before. One of the coolant drain bolts is just above the oil filter and you don't have a hope of getting a socket in there with the oil filter in place. Meaning you have to use a 10mm spanner, locating it in a very small space and turning it by about a 16th of a turn, removing the spanner, relocating the bolt with the spanner.. turn a 16th of a turn again etc etc. All this upside down trying to see what you're doing and it will probably (did) start chucking with rain in the middle of the process. This needs to be done twice too if you're flushing the system. Double jointed wrists and fingers to fit around the header pipes helps too.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 24-09-19 at 05:19 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 05:21 PM   #7647
maviczap
Mega Poster

Why is it when you find something you're looking for at the right price and you've committed to purchasing it, does something similar come along at a lower price!!!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 05:32 PM   #7648
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Why is it when you find something you're looking for at the right price and you've committed to purchasing it, does something similar come along at a lower price!!!

eBay voucher code?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 06:13 PM   #7649
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Note for anyone doing a coolant change on a VFR. Do it at the same time as an oil change. I did my oil and filter change just before. One of the coolant drain bolts is just above the oil filter and you don't have a hope of getting a socket in there with the oil filter in place. Meaning you have to use a 10mm spanner, locating it in a very small space and turning it by about a 16th of a turn, removing the spanner, relocating the bolt with the spanner.. turn a 16th of a turn again etc etc. All this upside down trying to see what you're doing and it will probably (did) start chucking with rain in the middle of the process. This needs to be done twice too if you're flushing the system. Double jointed wrists and fingers to fit around the header pipes helps too.
Ratchet spanner....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 06:15 PM   #7650
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
been there too. Some people don't bother removing that small coolant drain plug.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk