SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-13, 05:33 PM   #1
dirtyred619

Default Triumph Sprint ST 1050 opinions please.

I've been in 2 minds for a while whether to swap bikes and try something new and I quite like the Sprint. Most people seem to recommend them but I've not much knowledge on them. So I'm just after general opinions like on comfort, MPG expectations, servicing costs, reliability etc really.

I've got the opportunity to get one in a part ex private deal for my SV and was also wondering what you thought a fair price for one would be, this one being a 2007 with just over 17,000 on the clock in what looks like a very good condition.

Cheers for your help
Mike
Old 14-06-13, 05:52 PM   #2
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Sprint ST 1050 opinions please.

Blueflame (Grant) has picked one up recently..,

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 06:08 PM   #3
Dicky Ticker

50+k miles and apart from general maintenance the only thing I have had trouble with is 1]New ignition switch 2] Replace snapped gear shift link bar.
55MPG=200miles + per tank
Comfort=500mile days
Lazy engine which does most things effortlessly---6000rpm=100mph,,red line 9200
8-9k out of rear tyre and two rears to one front
No rust or flakey paint.
200ml top up of oil for 6000mile service interval

12 years old and I still can't find something to warrant the expense of changing it
Loads of bits on e-bay if you want to personalise and be a bit different.

Like all bikes there are good and bad ones but as it is from a friend hopefully you will have first hand service and maintenance records. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 14-06-13, 06:24 PM   #4
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
50+k miles and apart from general maintenance the only thing I have had trouble with is 1]New ignition switch 2] Replace snapped gear shift link bar.
55MPG=200miles + per tank
Comfort=500mile days
Lazy engine which does most things effortlessly---6000rpm=100mph,,red line 9200
8-9k out of rear tyre and two rears to one front
No rust or flakey paint.
200ml top up of oil for 6000mile service interval

12 years old and I still can't find something to warrant the expense of changing it
Loads of bits on e-bay if you want to personalise and be a bit different.

Like all bikes there are good and bad ones but as it is from a friend hopefully you will have first hand service and maintenance records. Good luck and enjoy.
That's certainly the kind of opinion I've heard from a few people so encouraging to hear.

Just to push you, what would you say is a fair price? Think the guy is asking a fair price but want to be sure.
Old 14-06-13, 06:53 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=179811
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-13, 07:13 PM   #6
dirtyred619

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
So from that thread it gets generally good reviews certainly nothing too bad to day about it. Interesting post on price as well but I'll await a reply on that.
Old 14-06-13, 07:13 PM   #7
Specialone

I had mine for 3 years from new and covered 13.5k, done 3 euro trips on it too.

So, so smooth, fast as f**k when pushed, but not scary, silly speeds approach with no fuss so keep an eye on the speedo.

Get some trident cans and it sounds awesome, I had the sports map on mine so mpg suffered a bit, about 165 miles to a tank, but in France I had this down to 126 miles.

I still have some goodies left from when I traded mine in like a tank cover harness and tank bag, power bronze db screen and pazzo levers so could offer these at a good price

Last edited by Specialone; 14-06-13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 14-06-13, 07:44 PM   #8
suzukigt380paul

hi all,i had considered a sprint once, but after riding the same engine on a speed triple i thought it was a heap of so so british/thailand crap,i know most wont agree with me or my opinions,but triumph have a long long way to go to be half as good as most jap bikes of a similar spec,and even further to go to match honda,there reliability and warranty has been rather patchy when the inevitable problems arise,and after doing the repairs and minor servicing on the speed triple,i found them hard to get on with,but if you know of any 1050 that have been riden like they should be with 100k or even 200k on them with out any mechanic problems then i would be surprised and astonished,oh and if you are a short **** like me the seat is rather high,and triumph say you cant adjust the shock to make it lower,but if you can put up with these short comings and dont keep you bikes very long then if the bike suits you then go for it,oh and watch out for high oil use on higher milage models,and check you arnt buying from the batch with the faulty crank hardening that snap,rant over
Old 14-06-13, 07:51 PM   #9
Specialone

Yes mate, most will disagree with you, jap bikes have no character at all, name a similar jap bike to the sprint that doesn't look boring?

I also couldn't give a rats ass if it won't do 200k miles (which they would if looked after), I'll never keep a bike that long or do that many miles so it would never affect me.

There's a reason the sprint sold so well and are still popular...
Old 14-06-13, 08:05 PM   #10
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Yes mate, most will disagree with you, jap bikes have no character at all, name a similar jap bike to the sprint that doesn't look boring?

I also couldn't give a rats ass if it won't do 200k miles (which they would if looked after), I'll never keep a bike that long or do that many miles so it would never affect me.

There's a reason the sprint sold so well and are still popular...
vfr800,gsx1250fa(bandit)z1000sx are 3 that come to mind,and i never found the 1050 had any more or less character then a il4,if you want character buy a v4