SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Would you wear a flip front helmet?
Yes I'd feel safe in a flip front. 24 63.16%
No, Full face only. 13 34.21%
I'd wear an open face, no problem. 0 0%
keithd 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-14, 04:33 AM   #1
BanannaMan

Default Would you wear a flip front helmet?

Would you wear a flipfront helmet?
Are they safe?

A young rider asked my opinion on flip front's but tbh I don't know.
All I've ever heard was horror stories of them coming apart, but all seemed to be 2nd hand tales.
While I do know a few riders who wear them I don't really know anyone who's crashed wearing one or anyone who's been with someone who's crashed wearing one,
so I thought I would ask the OMO.

Anyone with any 1st hand knowledge or experience?

Me I'll stick with my full face lid thank you.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 09-12-14 at 05:44 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:36 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Would you wear a flip front helmet?

I'm often tempted by the convenience of one for town work. One thing to be aware of is that some are tested as both a full and open face lid, while some are only tested as an open face with the flip down section being considered weather protection. I'd still rather be in a flip face than an open face in an off, but it's worth being a bit picky on these i think.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 09-12-14, 07:51 AM   #3
L3nny
Mega Poster

I can't see the point of them and I think people would rather be saved from the horror of looking at my face.

Seems like a big compromise in safety for little benefit.
Old 09-12-14, 08:24 AM   #4
Cymraeg_Atodeg

I've worn one when I went to Germany, makes getting through passport control a lot easier on the ferry as you don't have to take your helmet off.

My rule of thumb with helmets is the same as with biking gear in general, I'm not going to ride hell for leather in an open face with textiles on. You wear what you need for the ride your gonna do.

For a gentle bimble I am happy with textiles and a flip-front, if I am off for fun on my R6 I'll wear full leathers and my full Face.

I know I can't stop people crashing into me, but, if I am going slower the textiles and helmet will offer the protection I need
Old 09-12-14, 08:32 AM   #5
pookie

I use a yellow bmw system 5 . Its a lot heavier than the standard full face. I dont worry too much when filling up at stations and walking past security at work. Easier to wipe my nose in the winter. It is noisier too with more whistling. Not been in a crash before so cant comment on structural integrity. The flip models did come with an optional integrated bluetooth kit which drew me to them.

Its good for start stop and commute journeys.. I prefer my full face generally.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 09:19 AM   #6
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Had a flipper for a year or so and its been a revelation. It makes a big difference having a big screen infront though. Very little wind and few bugs or stones get past.

A much more visceral experience with it flipped up (and the small internal visor down for eye-protection) always in town, much better peripheral vision and awareness (of your own mortality too so it keeps my speed down so I tend to chill out more.)

Brilliant abroad in the heat. No chance of the old head boiling!

No worries not getting served in petrol stations. Especially handy for commuting. And tabbers. And conversationists (congenial and not so!)

The full face lid has been sitting gathering dust.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 09:45 AM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post

All I've ever heard was horror stories of them coming apart, but all seemed to be 2nd hand tales.
I only ever hear 2nd hand tales about what happens if you ride under a bus...... I wonder why that is....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 09:53 AM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

On a more serious note I think that as with many things around motorcycling it is all about compromise. I suspect that for all practical purposes the modern flip fronts offer an equal level of protection to a reasonable level full face (which can also be of variable quality and performance) however you pay for it in terms of weight and noise. If the convenience of the flip front outweighs the loss in comfort then there is no reason to dismiss them on safety grounds. There are so many variables in a crash, especially on the road, that even with the ultimate in protection there is still a chance something will get you.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 10:16 AM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I have just purchased a lazer Monaco.
There's no option for
Yes I would/do wear one but don't feel as protected.
Weight wise it's fine
Easy to speak to people if I need to.
Came with a free bluetooth kit.
The reactions visor is a good thing too.

Last edited by NTECUK; 09-12-14 at 10:20 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 10:34 AM   #10
atassiedevil

Yes, i would and i do.

The reason i chose the caberg duke was because it's 5 star sharp rated, and generally reviewed as one of the best flip helmets around. I did a lot of research before coming to that decision, and i haven't regretted it.

It's a very good compromise, and a hell of a lot lighter than my last flip face helmet. Very quiet too, and quieter (and lighter) than some full face helmets i have used. On the whole, i am very very happy and would buy the same again.

Sharp impact protection tests rate it 5 star across the board. That's good enough for me.