SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-19, 06:16 PM   #1
gadget

Default Alternative balancing tool !

After reading /studying the many posts on tuning / balancing carbs, I have the chance to borrow one of the 'snail' type carb air flow gizmo's, the type that has a conical end that can be pushed into the 'trumpet' /inlet when motor is running and then the scale on the meter can be read at a glance. (I have seen these being used on webber 40's sidedrafts etc on cars)
So ... just wondered if anyone has tried this method of balancing on the sv ?
I can't see why it wouldn't be as effective as a manometer or traditional gauges.
It would certainly be a whole lot quicker and easier to do it this way that's for sure.
Anyone have any views / first hand experience or pro's 'n' cons' of doing it this way?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 08:19 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternative balancing tool !

I did a quick google and if it's the sort I'm thinking of then it measures air flow in not vacuum pressure after the butterfly. The point of balancing the carbs is so the slides lift together which is down to equal vacuums that then draw the air out of the chamber above the diaphragm, so while airflow is related, I doubt it'd be accurate enough. Also the airflow at tickover is quite small.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 05:04 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
I did a quick google and if it's the sort I'm thinking of then it measures air flow in not vacuum pressure after the butterfly. The point of balancing the carbs is so the slides lift together which is down to equal vacuums that then draw the air out of the chamber above the diaphragm, so while airflow is related, I doubt it'd be accurate enough. Also the airflow at tickover is quite small.

Aha, good point, didn't think of that.
Many thanks for the info, I may have been messing with that tool all day and getting false readings and probably doing more harm than good.
Cheers.
Old 26-09-19, 09:17 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Aha, good point, didn't think of that.
Many thanks for the info, I may have been messing with that tool all day and getting false readings and probably doing more harm than good.
Cheers.
This may be of interest to you,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

HTH
Old 10-10-19, 04:08 PM   #5
gadget

Thumbs up Re: Alternative balancing tool !

Thanks for the link, saw those in a magazine while back. Mine does seem a little lumpy at idle and I am experiencing some numb digits after about half hour of riding. Think I'm just going to have to invest in a balancing tool of some description. Probably the carbtune, looks like a doddle to use. Cheers again for info.
Old 10-10-19, 07:39 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Personally I prefer a pair of Davida Gauges. Don't buy cheap ones. You can use a pair to balance any number of cylinders.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 07:52 PM   #7
glang

The big disadvantage of using a flow meter is that it measures just one carb/throttle body at a time and as it works by creating a slight restriction affects the tickover. So in swopping it between the measurements youve introduced a small variable that creates inaccuracy which on a car is insignificant but on a bike more important.
You can balance the carbs very accurately without expenditure by using a home made manometer. You just need a long length of plastic tube and some water....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 05:51 PM   #8
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
The big disadvantage of using a flow meter is that it measures just one carb/throttle body at a time and as it works by creating a slight restriction affects the tickover. So in swopping it between the measurements youve introduced a small variable that creates inaccuracy which on a car is insignificant but on a bike more important.
You can balance the carbs very accurately without expenditure by using a home made manometer. You just need a long length of plastic tube and some water....
I have eventually decided to put it in the capable hands of a mechanic mainly because I have absolutely nowhere to do the work and don't fancy getting cold n wet doing it out in the road. So .... fork out some hard earned and hopefully it'll all be sorted.