SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-05, 06:13 PM   #1
DanSV

Default Hibernation

bikes gone in to hibernation well it has been 4 the last 2-3 weeks (i know fair weather biker but i want it to keep its looks!!) an i havnt done any thin special just cleaned cleaned nd lubed it. i heard it was a gd idea 2 raise it, is this essential? as i dont have any stands. and should i be doin more?
Old 27-11-05, 06:41 PM   #2
TC3

Would make more sense to ride it on dry cold days and then wash it down with a hose rather then go wthout riding for weeks....cold wont kill you!
Old 28-11-05, 12:00 AM   #3
Rog

Would agree with TC. You dont have to go far and as long as you wash her down afterwards you shouldnt hurt her to much. Just dont take her out when theyve just gritted as the salt will do more damage than the cold and wet put together.
Old 28-11-05, 05:33 PM   #4
JohnA

Just been up to the lock-up to check my K2 out. Been on her own for almost 6 weeks. Pushed her around so she doesn't spend all winter on the same patch of rubber and then started her up and left her running for 5 mins. I did the same last year and all was well at Spring time.....just not brave enough to go out in the cold/wet/ice/snow etc!
Old 28-11-05, 06:07 PM   #5
suzsv650

i never thought people actuly did this!!

panzeys
Old 28-11-05, 08:38 PM   #6
JohnA

I am a wimp and still alive! It took me 15yrs to persuade my wife I was responsible enough to have a bike again and made some concessions....dry and fair weather...ah well that's the price for being a wimp!!
Old 30-11-05, 10:47 AM   #7
Banus

Default hibernation

Mines been in hibernation for a few weeks now. Actually bought a cheap (£530) derestricted twist and go scooter to keep me on 2 wheels over the winter / grit / salt / slush period. I too was wondering if anything specific needs to be done. All I did was a through wash / polish and spent a lot of time on the chain - looks like new now.
Finally bought an indoor dust cover £9.99 (usually £24) from Infinitymotorcycles.com (see special offers on their home page)- bargain and fits the SV perfectly.
Old 30-11-05, 11:17 AM   #8
tomjones2

as long as you wash the salt off the finish stay perfect, last year i rode it most clear weekends and washed it and you cant tell.