SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-17, 01:37 PM   #41
Taipan

Default Re: My first pointy

Ta da! They're here! If I get time over the weekend, i'll get the new plug caps on and the start again with eh balance/tps reset. TBH I doubt that'll cure the misfire, but the new plug caps might, he said hopefully! If not i'll dig deeper. As much as i'm enjoying all of this I do want to ride the thing at some point! ;D

Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 11:33 PM   #42
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

So long as the fuel delivery system system is working as it should then it's all old technology that has to be addressed.
Spark plugs,plug caps and HT leads and the the coils all of which are over 150 years old as far as Internal combustion engines are concerned still have to deliver the spark to the cylinder.There's not been a lot of innovations in these components but the tolerances and materials used has improved of course over the years but if any of then grow weak or are failing there will be problems.

The correct values for the coils are in my Haynes in the checking procedure.Not checked the downloaded Manual but I'm sure they are in there as well.

I found and promoted a cheap coil alternative for my CX500s CDI coils and I'm sure the SV650's are just a dual tap car version.

I got my Haynes from Halfrauds.Got 2 quid off as the cellophane cover was damaged
Old 24-03-17, 07:02 PM   #43
Taipan

Just sticking the MM in the old and new plugs, I get different readings from the old to the new, but am I measuring them right?

Old 24-03-17, 07:35 PM   #44
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Yep.Same readings that I got.As stated the NGKs are around 5K ohms and the OEMs around 9k Ohms.The OEMs may well be fine but as it's a troubleshooting mission things need to be eliminated and even if the OEMs read the same as mine that doesn't discount them breaking down when running but if putting new caps on doesn't help then look to the coils.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-03-17 at 07:43 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 07:55 PM   #45
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
There was a guy on the US CX forum who bought his around 1980 with 6,000 miles on it.He came on the forum a few years ago asking if it was time to rebuild the original engine as it had 280,000 miles on it!!!!

He'd been through several stators/Alternators and cam-chains of course and a few other consumables.

Trick was he used Rotella T diesel engine oil changed every 3,000 miles and a new filter.
Despite the ugly duckling looks, I really liked my CX500, and I never had any issues with the camchain. Apart from the collector box corrosion I never had any issues with mine. Looking back, they were well made.

Loads of happy miles on it. It was my first big bike

The next owner wrote it off
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 07:57 PM   #46
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Despite the ugly duckling looks, I really liked my CX500, and I never had any issues with the camchain. Apart from the collector box corrosion I never had any issues with mine. Looking back, they were well made.

Loads of happy miles on it. It was my first big bike

The next owner wrote it off
There's something nice about not having to worry about chains

I still have one of my CX500s in my garage.Just needs an engine swap(I have running engine to go in) and enough parts to make another

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-03-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 24-03-17, 08:12 PM   #47
maviczap
Mega Poster

Cool ��
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 09:25 PM   #48
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yep.Same readings that I got.As stated the NGKs are around 5K ohms and the OEMs around 9k Ohms.The OEMs may well be fine but as it's a troubleshooting mission things need to be eliminated and even if the OEMs read the same as mine that doesn't discount them breaking down when running but if putting new caps on doesn't help then look to the coils.
Yup will do but sadly the new caps dont fit the standard leads, so i've got to get new leads as well, which is no bad thing.

Re: Coils, I seem to recall I replaced one of them on my other (curvy) SVs? Maybe its quite common to go on these?
Old 24-03-17, 11:06 PM   #49
Taipan

Ha! Look what I had in stock! back in the game tomorrow!

Old 25-03-17, 10:13 AM   #50
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Cool
I keep all sorts around.I even kept a couple of old scissor jacks from cars I've scrapped and found a use for them on my Curvy for raising the font end

Also whilst doing some casual reading in my Haynes for 1999-02 models the standard Plug cap resistance,"Is" 5k ohms so mine are getting high at over 9k ohms.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 25-03-17 at 12:01 PM.